Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Considering a 2007-2010 Outlander, pros/cons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Default Considering a 2007-2010 Outlander, pros/cons?

So I'm considering buying a 2007-2010 Outlander in the next 2 weeks or so. They road department doesn't plow the roads too good out where I live (often not till a few hours after the snow stops falling) and after last winter I don't want to struggle with a front wheel drive car again. I've been doing research into small to midsize crossover SUV's and I've narrowed my choices down to either the Outlander or a Nissan Xtrail. I'm primarily considering the Outlander because I just like the styling of it, the smooth 6 speed automatic, the superb AWD system and the standard safety features. I test drove a 2007 Outlander from a local dealer and while I wouldn't buy that particular one (i'll explain if you want) I do get what they're about. What are these like for gas mileage in everyday driving? I know what the government rates them for, but I'd like to see some real-world quotes from actual people. Are these easy to fix and find parts for? Anything I should specifically check for when I go to look one over? Tell me your personal experiences with them.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:13 AM

My '07 has been really great so far. I'm at 155k and maintain it very well. I think my ball joints might be squeaking and my radio is having some issues. So far, I've been able to do all maintenance on it myself, but that is also with the help of a lift. Changing timing belt and spark plugs was evil at 100k, but after doing that, it was a new vehicle. I drive around city streets and get about 22MPG. If I drive it on the interstate at 65....I can hit 27/28.

Keep this in mind about years. '07-'09 are non-interference engines as they have dimples in the pistons...so you can break your timing belt without destroying the engine. In '10 they removed the dimples to increase compression/power. so instead of 220hp, 2010 3.0L gets 230hp. On the plus side, the 2010 GT gets S-AWC which is one step up from the normal AWC that '07-'09 got.

This will be my first year driving it in the winter. Previous winters the Outlander was my wife's commuter. She'd drive 45min each way on curvy highways and didn't have issues. When I did drive it, it was on-par with my Ranger's 4x4 w/ a bed full of snow...which was pretty decent.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:16 PM

I just bought a 2010 Outlander XLS V6 AWD and have owned it for a couple months. Here's my take on it SO FAR:

Pros:
-On the fly Selectable 2WD/4WD/Locked
-V6 has 3500lbs tow capacity - enough for my fishing boat
-V6 has the power you're looking for, I hear the 4 cyl is a little gutless, but if you're after better MPG, its the way to go.
-I average 22 MPG right now and have posted my fill ups to fuelly. Majorily freeway/commuting (Around 280 Miles per tank @ 12 Gal fill up)
-Keyless Entry FOB took some getting used to, but now I love it. I can be near the car, and just pull the door open to unlock the driver side. Kinda handy when you're carrying stuff
-Rear fold-down tailgate - I LOVE IT! Makes loading easier and cool for tailgating

Cons:
-If I floor it, I the TCS light comes on and you can feel the car spinning the wheels. My tires are up for replacement, so that is probably why, but worth noting
-Wind noise at Hwy speeds
-Bluetooth Hansfree is not the greatest, but its not bad
-Pricey maintenance (Sythetic Oil, all season tires, platinum plugs, etc)

Overall its a great car and it will serve me well for my needs. I would buy again.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:58 AM
Default 08 xls v6

I bought my 2008 XLS V6 new and it now has about 94,500 miles. It's been a really good vehicle - reliable, plenty of power for my needs, and I really like some of the specialty features (AWD system, tailgate, music server, and paddle shifters all come to mind).

My only gripes are with the TPMS (I wish it didn't have it) and the oil filter location (crappy access), but those things are pretty minor.

I bought separate wheels and have snow tires mounted which I run during the winter months and the car does great in the snow and slop.

Good luck to the OP in your search.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Wheeldog
My only gripes are with the TPMS (I wish it didn't have it)
Some shops charge $2-4 extra when you get new tires to get the TPMS valves serviced.

Did you ever service them when you bought new tires?

Old 10-30-2014, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cali Duck
Some shops charge $2-4 extra when you get new tires to get the TPMS valves serviced.

Did you ever service them when you bought new tires?
Cali Duck - I bought new TPMS valves as part of the winter wheel and tire package. I don't think I've had to rebuilid or repair the ones on the OEM wheels yet, but I don't remember for sure.

I don't have a problem with the TPMS other than that it is a hassle if you want to run different wheels in the winter. You can't pair more than one set of valves to the sensors so you either have to have the shop do the pairing each time you swap wheels for a season, or live with the TPMS warning light being on for a few months out of the year.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Wheeldog
Cali Duck - I bought new TPMS valves as part of the winter wheel and tire package. I don't think I've had to rebuilid or repair the ones on the OEM wheels yet, but I don't remember for sure.

I don't have a problem with the TPMS other than that it is a hassle if you want to run different wheels in the winter. You can't pair more than one set of valves to the sensors so you either have to have the shop do the pairing each time you swap wheels for a season, or live with the TPMS warning light being on for a few months out of the year.
Do a search on the boards for TPMS...i'd say early this year. There was a guy on here that was offering a service to flash aftermarket sensors that had identical sensor ID numbers...basically emulating your old sensors. This would allow you to run winter wheels without having to remount tires and/or TPMS sensors.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
Do a search on the boards for TPMS...i'd say early this year. There was a guy on here that was offering a service to flash aftermarket sensors that had identical sensor ID numbers...basically emulating your old sensors. This would allow you to run winter wheels without having to remount tires and/or TPMS sensors.
Not sure if related:

Old 10-31-2014, 04:00 PM
Old 11-03-2014, 11:49 AM

Thanks - I didn't know about that option. I will take a look.

Quick Reply: Considering a 2007-2010 Outlander, pros/cons?