Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

For Curt hitch owner FYI

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Default RE: For Curt hitch owner FYI

So i went ahead and ordered my Curt Manuf hitchfrom etrailer.com and received it today. It took longer for them to ship it that it should have (sat in-stock intheir warehouse for 3 days before they shipped it), but i still received it in 7-days. The price $149.99. Now the problem:

I tear open the box and pull it out and notice it hasscuff marks w/ paint scraped off several edges and on the neck of the step pad. I am rather irritated since some of you have already mentioned rust being an issue. Now that the paint is already messed up i'm sure it will rust quickly.It has amanuf date of Aug '07 on it, the instruction sheetis dated Dec '06.

I haven't called them to complain or request a return/exchange since i'd rather not wait another 2 weeks to get it on, plus i don't know if they'll charge me to ship it back to them. Did any of you have the same issues with yours?

Most of the marks are on the bottom side and will be hidden once it's installed, but still shouldn't have happened. I think i'm just gonna keep it and spray the spots with some gloss black rustoleum. What do you guys think?

Old 04-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Default RE: For Curt hitch owner FYI

I installed my Curt Manu Hitch on Saturday. It took a lot longer than the 30 min install time listed on the instruction sheet...more like 1 1/2 hours. I dropped the spare tire (really cool set up for it) and first tried to install it without lowering the exhaust. When i got it in place the hitch bolts holes did not line up with the mounting holes. I had to stand on one end of the hitch and pull/tugto convince itto fit. Then i realized how little space there was for my fat hands to try to put the bolts in. I spent at least 45 mins trying to get the hangers off, but to no avail. I used the dishsoap trick, 3 pry bars, 3 screwdrivers and nothing would get them to pop over the end of the hanger bars.I finally gave up and found a small ratchet that would squeeze in between the exhaust and mount points. The one thing that seemed odd was the attachment for the undercarriage hook. The bolt wouldn't line up square and ihad to tighten it at an angle. It seems solid, but just not perfect. Anyone esle have these issues?

All in all it looks good and seems like it will work well. Now i have to get the harness installed which i'm still waiting on from mitsuaccessories.com.