Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

CVT over heating

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 12:53 PM
Default CVT over heating

I couldn't find a direct answer in another thread so I'm starting a new post. I just got a 2011 Outlander 2.4 cyl. with the CVT transmission and about 129,000 miles. I've never had a CVT before but it seems to run fine. However, when I get up to about 75 mph or more on the highway and I hit some hilly roads the CVT seems to strain and the rpms stay above 3,500. When this happens too long the over heating warning comes on and I have to pull over and put it in park till it cools down. Only about 2-3 minutes. It has done it about 6 times on me on a trip up and down the east coast (2,000 miles) and I wasn't hauling anything. It hasn't happen going below 70 mph and the same type of hilly roads. From what I can gather from other posts it seems that the transmission fluid just needs to be changed? I'm having a mechanic look at it but want to hear from others who have had this car for a while. Anyone else know of another issue that may cause it. Is the CVT about to go? Any thoughts or if you could point me to another thread about this I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 10-31-2018, 02:06 PM

My mechanic just called and said the torque converter solenoid is whats wrong. BUUUT he can't find one. Even from a Mitsubishi dealership. He can't even find a transmission. Anyone know where I can find one?

Old 11-01-2018, 12:49 AM

Car-part.com has transmissions

Old 11-01-2018, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by gideonusmc
I couldn't find a direct answer in another thread so I'm starting a new post. I just got a 2011 Outlander 2.4 cyl. with the CVT transmission and about 129,000 miles. I've never had a CVT before but it seems to run fine. However, when I get up to about 75 mph or more on the highway and I hit some hilly roads the CVT seems to strain and the rpms stay above 3,500. When this happens too long the over heating warning comes on and I have to pull over and put it in park till it cools down. Only about 2-3 minutes. It has done it about 6 times on me on a trip up and down the east coast (2,000 miles) and I wasn't hauling anything. It hasn't happen going below 70 mph and the same type of hilly roads. From what I can gather from other posts it seems that the transmission fluid just needs to be changed? I'm having a mechanic look at it but want to hear from others who have had this car for a while. Anyone else know of another issue that may cause it. Is the CVT about to go? Any thoughts or if you could point me to another thread about this I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Matt
IMHO..I would take it to the Dealer and get the Fluid changed...With the Correct Fluid..chances are the previous owner did not change it.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:58 AM

Thanks, guys. I did talk to a dealer yesterday afternoon and the mechanic said I need to change the fluid before he would do all the tests my mechanic did. Guess I'll do that first and at the the dealer since no one else seems to know about these CVTs.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:12 PM

Well, I had a Mitsubishi dealer change the fluid a couple weeks ago and haven't had any problems since. They also fixed a recall on the drive belt tensioner. That must have been it. Thanks for the advice.