Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Dealer put 5 quarts ok?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Default RE: Dealer put 5 quarts ok?

Alright just went back and drain some out. But I notice a difference in driving.

When its over the full line, the perfomance was bad when I drive on the freeway. I tried to step the pedal all the way and it didn't respond and accelerate as fast.

So today it was at the correct level, performance was at top notch again and the acceleration was quick.

I guess too much or too little can affect performance or damage the engine?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:11 AM

I doubt a small amount of extra oil will affect the performance or engine negatively. Desingers and Engineers set limits that are really ranges to allow for imperfect situations, which in most cases are the norm. Kinda of like building in protection factors to ensure longevity.

I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but here's the way i see it. How many times have you driven longer than the recommended time limit for getting your oil changed with no negative effects? Why do some places say every 3000 miles and others say every 7500 miles for the same car? My thinking is that if you drive you car with a 1/2 qt less oil than normal it won't blow up on you and i would say it's the same for havingslightlymore than recommended. Now if you have oil all the way up the dipstick then that would be a problem, but i don't think a 1-2 cm would be a major cause for concern.

Have you payed attention to your oil pressure and temp gauge? Are there any differences from before the oil change? Does it seem to be running hotter?

Also, if the service paperwork states that they used 5qts then you have proof the dealer screwed up if there's a ever a problem.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:40 PM

wait i thought that was the coolant temp guage on the info menu? The only temp gauge I see is the outside temp. I don't have the MMCS but the sun/sound only.