Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Dealerships closing what to do!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Default Dealerships closing what to do!

I love my Outie which I had slightly over 6 month, but at that time of purchase I was kind of worried about lack of convinent dealerships around, so the closest one was 15 miles which is not very convenient, but wasn't too bad.

So, I was due for an oil change and I just called them only to find out that they are closing because the owner is retiring and there is no plan to continue. I asked them where should I take my car for warranty repair and he recommended one place about 150 miles away. If my car brokes down I have to tow it for 150 miles! Ridiculous. Anyway, I found out there is another one that's "closer", 40 miles ... but it's not helping situation and I am really upset about this now. I don't know if I want to take a car 40 miles away for oil change...

There was another dealership that was also not too far, but now it looks like they switched to Mazda cars, although their domain name still says mitsubishi. (http://www.rentonmitsubishi.com/)

So, what's going on. Is Mitsubishi doing so bad?

Oh, I live in Seattle, WA

Old 04-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Default RE: Dealerships closing what to do!

My advice is to not break down. Just kidding, all joking aside there was a dealership 22ish miles away that wasnt nothing big but it was a small dealership that just sold cars. I went by it one day and it was gone. The little building is empty all cars are gone and the lot is growing grass. I have to go 29 miles 45 mins or 30 miles 46 mins and this one is to a different state (PA from NJ also pay 1$). I do all my own oil changes and if I break down im using the road side assitance because I have a 5 years on it, plus I have a 10 year warranty. I also have AAA with 3 or 5 tows a year. Then I get all the other benifits from it. If your worried about things breaking after the warranty period, go to a local shop to get things fixed or sell it. Changing your own oil isnt hard and mitsubishi said just keep all receipts for the oil changes and youll be fine.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:12 PM

Yea, I know the feeling. I live in Salisbury Maryland, and the closest dealers to me are 50 & 65 miles away, which is an hour to an hour and a half depending on traffic. There was one in town a while ago, but they are no longer around. That is why I schedule my dealer visits to times when I go to visit family in Pennsylvania because there is a massive dealer 5 miles away (which is also where I bought mine). It is a bit annoying, but I just have to hope that nothing serious happens, otherwise I will have to take it to a local person. I guess I'll deal with a problem when it occurs.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:13 AM

This was and still is my biggest concern when I bought the Outtie last year. Great vehicle, but unstable company in the North American market.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:55 PM

So, is it ok to do oil change at some other dealer (Nissan for instance)This is my second oil change, do they do anything else besides changing oil? I guess my concern if I do all my oil changes at non Mitsubishi dealer because it right across the street from me and then at 30k my car breaks down and I take it to Mitsubishi. Could they actually say that since the oil changes weren't done by authorized Mitsubishi technician this repair will not be covered by warranty...

Old 04-07-2008, 02:44 PM

They cant do that. They will "investigate" the problem as said by ford and chevy before. If they require you to get the oil changes done at their dealership then it should be free. They cant void a warrenty because you dont get your oil changes there. We had a ford ranger that blew up at like 2x,xxx miles. Never took it in for oil changes. We did them ourselves. Considering we got 5 cars here that would add up to alot of money driving to the dealer and getting the oil done everytime. Well long story short they took the motor out to find a defective gear from the factory and had to put a whole new motor in. It ended up being like a 4000$ free job.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:50 PM

It should not matter, as long as you keep the receipts. In fact my wife even had some warranty work done at a Goodyear shop once for her Dodge, I'm not sure excatly what that shop needed to do for them to be allowed to do it, but they did.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:15 PM

most companies are understanding of the fact that they don't have dealerships reaslisticly located to customers who are stranded. all any shop has to do is call the company (like they would an extended warranty) and file a claim. it makes getting parts a pain in the *** but you can still get fixed.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:42 PM

well, it makes me feel better. Although, part of our deal with Outlander with that particular dealership that's now closing was 3 free oil changes and looks like I will not be using any of them. I might call and ask them about it, but I doubt they'll care.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 AM

That deal was probably with the Dealer only. When I bought mine instead of giving me a rebate, the dealer gave me 3 years of free service, I estimate this at about $1000 value. If my dealer closes I'll be a bit more upset than you are.