Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Detailed Rear Camera Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Default RE: Detailed Rear Camera Installation

ORIGINAL: rdenis
If you can't find a connector you can cheat by getting a couple of 3 pin or one 4 pin computer component connectors which are used to connect components to motherboards. Their pin alignment will fit perfectly and you can make your own harness out of this.
Thanks! That's exactly what my plan was to do -- I thought the pin spacing looked the same.

ORIGINAL: rdenis
I love the look of that new Lancer GTS - sweet ride. How's the stock handling on it?
I haven't done a whole lot of "testing the handling" yet, but so far its pretty good. It has a stabilizer bar in the engine capartment. The lancer sits up a bit higher than I'm used to though -- my old car is a 92 Nissan 240SX. I didn't realize how low to the ground my 240 was until I had to drive it again for 4 days without my lancer getting the navi unit repaired.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 AM

This thread along with some others that were pointed out have now been pinned at the very top of this forum so that it does not get lost in the shuffle.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:11 PM

Is that sacrificed connector the OEM plug for factory B/U camera in Japan? So when you back up it doesn't shut the video off? Is this viewed through the auxilliary channel? Sounds like a great mod.

Old 06-24-2007, 04:46 PM

hi rdenis this may seem a stupid question but what is the brain can you not just wire 1 cable to reversing switch and then 2x cables video input. i have just brought an elegance model (uk spec)and need a camera as i tow every day (used to have on in my old car)
by the way photos are fantastic.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:06 PM

Not a dumb question at all - the brain is only unique to the Pioneer camera (you see the camera is so smart it even hasits ownbrain - j/k). You can buy any camera that has a regular video feed and that will work fine, but let me just comment the following:

I have no tie or affiliation with Pioneer but without a doubt this is one of the best if not the BEST cameras out there. I have looked at a tonne of different camera systems - everything from the eBay specials at $50 to factory Honda, Toyota, GM, and Chrylser systems which go upwards of $500 to $600. The eBay specials typically are not wide angle and even when claiming so max out at about 100 degrees viewing angle. The factory systems which typically have wider viewing angles up to rround a true 120 degrees often have issues with low light and bright light conditions.

This Pioneer kit is a full 130 degrees and operates in the lowest levels of light and brightest daylight without issue. The best part is you can buy it for less than $200 and I guarantee you would not be happier. If you want to replicate (actually exceed) the factory system Mitsubishi offers in Japan then buy the Pioneer system - you will not regret it.

But as I said any old videosystem will work. Hell I even had my system playing Ms. Pacman when I was testing prior to getting the Pioneer camera with the "brain".

Old 06-24-2007, 05:13 PM

By the way - there are a number of these Pioneer cameras available on eBay right now for some great prices. Click here for Pioneer Backup Cameras

I also have an extra one for sale which if anyone isinterested they can PM me.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:21 PM

Thanks alot i will try this
two other questions my mmc does not have a rear camera button is this a software issue i need to sort i only have aux and i cannot find anywhere to connect to aux.
last question can you have rear screens that play off the mmc dvd player (if so how) and will they stay on when moving ( i only ask this as i had a stereo/dvd player fitted to my old car with a 3.5 screen that went off when moving but still played on the rear screens)
many thanks

Old 06-24-2007, 10:57 PM

1) Your MMCS already has the capability but you have to wire it correctly as detailed in this thread earlier. The MMCS has a dedicated input for a camera that only activates once the vehicle is put in reverse- it does not go through the auxilliary input.

2) I can't recall if I have specifically tested this but I am sure it is possible.What I don't know is whether a signal needs to be sent aloing the communication line prior to getting a video out signal or whether the video out signal is live all the time - I am betting it is live so shouldn't be a big deal. You probably are wondering what the hell I am talking about but take a look at this thread, in particluar Step 1. As for when the vehicle is moving the front won't display but the rear will continue to do so.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:41 AM

many thanks i will try this and let you know how i am getting on

Old 07-08-2007, 10:04 AM

hi rdenis
just to let you know i have now fitted my camera and thanks to you it now works fine
because of your pic and explination the job was alot easier than i thought it would be
many thanks

Quick Reply: Detailed Rear Camera Installation