Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Detailed Rear Camera Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Default RE: Detailed Rear Camera Installation

rdenis, Thanks for sharing your insight and the detailed installation instructions.
I'll do it when I have the time.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:04 AM

Thanks for the install tips rdenis, mine works like a champ. I used a camera that I got on eBay for $25. I decided to mount mine in my wing, here are some photos.

First I removed the wing, search for the removal tips if you haven't seen my previous post on that. Then I used a step-drill to make the hole and finished it off with a Dremel to make it a perfect fit.

The wiring was done according to rdenis's technique, although I was tempted to wire the 12V to the rear back-up light rather than to the Nav unit.

The camera I got is a "Wide Angle 120D Rear View Backup Night IR Car Camera SMALL" for$24.99 from seller Kawacam, the dimensions are 41mmx29mm. Make sure you get thesmall one because they sell larger ones that won't fit inside the wing. It fits almost flush with the wing.

I thought about making the back of the wing black so that it would hide the camera better, but after seeing it I don't think I need to.

The camera works well and has a wide angle. The wing mount location gives a little higher view than if you mount it in the area above the license plate. I'm not sure which is better. On mine you can see the rear window wiper off to the side, and if you get any closer than the glass you'll probably hit. Here's the view.

Total cost was under $50 and it took me a couple of hours to install. Get 20 feet if you buy wiring. I used a 20' RCA extension jack and 20' of standard speaker wire for the 12V.

The good thing is that the camera works as soon as you put it into reverse, even if the Nav unit hasn't had time to turn on. My Nav unit takes about 15 seconds to start, so that had me a little worried because I didn't want to wait for it to start before I backed out.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:18 AM

im confuse. is the "brain" necessary? im not sure what u mean when u said "Yellow is grounded to signal head..unit a camera is attached". i guess what im trying to say is how is the camera getting its power and when a camera is present and when u back up does it automatically pop up the rearview screen?

Old 09-02-2007, 08:54 AM

The brain is not necessary if you get a camera like the one I used.

Connect the yellow wire to the black wire, then solder them to the negative wire on the RCA jack, see my photo above. The orange wire goes to positive on the RCA jack. The other two wires just get cut and left disconnected, that tells the MMCS that there is a camera attached.

Power to the camera comes from splicing into the other plug for 12V+ and 12V-. Or, you can grab power from the back-up light on the rear hatch.

The camera comes on automatically when you put the car in reverse.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:55 PM

Nicely done Biscuit!

Old 09-23-2007, 07:36 PM

Never had a rear view camera or seen one in action, but I'm interested in installing one. If you were backing out of a parking spot and about to hit a car parked behind you with the corner of your bumper, would the camera catch that angle? That's my major concernwith some ofthe tight parking around my area.

Would you still go with the Pioneer ND-BC2 today?

Old 09-23-2007, 10:22 PM

The ND-BC2 has a 135 degree viewing angle so you will see that car on the corner of your bumper. Take a look at the screen shot I have in the first post which shows the parking lot. You can get a pretty good idea of the viewing angle looking at the parking stall lines as reference.

I would definitely go with this camera today (or whatever the latest incarnation of it is).

Old 10-01-2007, 01:32 AM

I have a 08 lancer GTS. I installed backup cam in my lancer today, but I don't have the grid overlay. other then that it works great. I'm just wondering if i did anything wrong or maybe the lancer mmcs is a little different? I jumped pins 5 and 6 to the ground and pin 3 as the video lead of my rca. My camera comes on when i go into reverse and i can go into the camera settings where it has all the adjustment arrows, but they don't do anything at all. I am using an older nd-bc1 for my cam.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:06 PM

Hey Biscuit,

Nice job on the camera. I'm trying to do the same. Any hints on removing the rear spoiler? I've removed four bolts but the spoiler still seems pretty snug, and I'm afraid of pulling too hard.

Thanks for any info.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:38 PM

Sure, here's a thread I made that shows how to remove the wing:

http://www.outieclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29

Basically just remove the 4 screws, then remove the 9 plastic retainers by using the palm of your hand to pop the wing straight up toward the sky.

Quick Reply: Detailed Rear Camera Installation