Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Detailed Rear Camera Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Default RE: Detailed Rear Camera Installation

Just got mine complete. I did the camera in the wing install. In wired my cameras power to the rear reverse lamp so the camera is not always on for no reason. Works perfectly.

I wired my video cable along the drivers side headliner as suggested at the start of this thread. There has been many questions regarding the curtain airbags. Caution: You must be very careful to view where the curtains are (They are quite visible when you pull the headliner downwards in the door areas). Tuck the wire far back behind the curtain.

I would suggest that if you do not do this, the bag can either misdeploy getting tangled in the wiring or even worse. The wire could come speeding out at a rapid rate causing injury.

If you're careful, there should be no problem. If you want to be extra cautious, wire at the floor level.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:23 AM

Hey Biscuit,

Do you have any tips how to take out the MMCS head?
Also for the wire harness that you show how to solder, is it already in, or need to purchase somewhere?
I bought the Panasonic CY-RC50KU, what do you think about this?

thanks

Old 04-13-2008, 01:01 PM

I too did the camera in the wing install. I power the cameras to the rear reverse lamp on the driver side. Works great !

I got a 20 feet standardaudio cable with white and red male RCA connectors in place, split it in half since I only need one, wired my video cable along the floor on the drivers side to avoid the curtain airbags all together.

Pulling the MMCS head was a lot easier than pulling the wing and running the video cable, I did a serach and is all there. I strongly suggest you do the same.

Here is what what my wing cam look like.
[IMG]local://upfiles/16364/28F2C8D486844037B47AED9DB64056FB.jpg[/IMG]

MMCS during adjustment.
[IMG]local://upfiles/16364/6BEBABB38F5247ABB9D16BF1807914A1.jpg[/IMG]

Good luck to you!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:48 PM

Congrats on the install Outie08, looks good. I agree 100% on your decsion to wire everything along the bottom of the car. I wired mine up top and now my A-pillar cover falls off every once in a while. I think the mounts aren't very strong to start with because they have to easily pop off with the airbag. Taking them on and off a few times makes them even weaker. Plus, it's safer to route along the bottom.

An update on my camera. The exterior bezel of the camera is anodized aluminum and it has faded over the past 6 months. Right now it is kind of gold colored and heading toward silver. I'm not worried about it on my Outtie because if it turns silver it will match my white paint better. If it fades on a dark car it might need to be painted.

rodneyc, there are instructions/photos on the forum that show how to remove the MMCS, I think they are in one of the sticky threads.Please post the link if you find them.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:02 PM

Thanks biscuit,
I owe thanks to you and rdenis for the install insight. I Look forward tothe exterior bezelto fade,gold color is kind of cool too.Silver will also work for my silver grey paint . Worsy case. for $25, I might just pop a new one in.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:23 PM

Hey guys,

little confuse, for the power wiring to the camera, do I need to get the power from the Navi like rdenis did, to get automatic come on when put it to reverse, or I need to get the power from the reversing light.

thanks

Old 04-17-2008, 09:28 PM

Hi rodneyc,
You can do it either way, I did my camera power to the backup light,so, my camera only receive power whenmy backup light comes on, as well I don't want to run power all the way from the MMCS to the back, If you follow rdenis's way, your camera will receive power when your car is "on".

MMCS will automaticlly put backup carmera on the display the second you put in Rregardless howyou power your camera.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:18 PM

Thanks Outie8 and biscuit...

I hooked the camera up today, I get the power from the back up light, but don't know why or what happen. the camera doesn't power up, the MMCS is auto show the screen when I go to "R". Don't know what did I do wrong. I got the Panasonic CY-RC50KU, need some help guys....

Old 04-20-2008, 10:20 PM

Outie8

How did you get the setup screen show up, and is there anyway I could check the camera connection or setting in the MMCS.

thanks

Old 04-20-2008, 11:39 PM

Hold down the 'Navi' button and 'Set' button simultaneously for three seconds or longer.

Quick Reply: Detailed Rear Camera Installation