Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

difference in filter in glove box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Default difference in filter in glove box?

Hey all,

I just picked up the filter for the one that goes in behind the glove box. The one the dealer gave me is different than the one the dealer gave me the last time. Has anyone picked one of these up? It has foam things you are suposed to adhere somewhere on it?

If anyone has done this, can you let me know how it is supposed to go in?

Thanks...

Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 AM

I assume your talking about the cabin air filter. Some time back I found out the Outlander cabin filter on my vehicle is identical to the cabin filter for a 2005 Nissan Altima. For Fram that's CF 10140, For Purolator that's C35530 and for STP that's CAF1792. Now when I want to replace mine I just go to AutoZone or O'reilly's and buy one of these for about $20.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by azjake
I assume your talking about the cabin air filter. Some time back I found out the Outlander cabin filter on my vehicle is identical to the cabin filter for a 2005 Nissan Altima. For Fram that's CF 10140, For Purolator that's C35530 and for STP that's CAF1792. Now when I want to replace mine I just go to AutoZone or O'reilly's and buy one of these for about $20.

Damn, I'll do that next time....

Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by azjake
Got my baking soda powered Fram CF10140, $22 tax incl at a Part Source.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
Hey all,

I just picked up the filter for the one that goes in behind the glove box. The one the dealer gave me is different than the one the dealer gave me the last time. Has anyone picked one of these up? It has foam things you are suposed to adhere somewhere on it?

If anyone has done this, can you let me know how it is supposed to go in?

Thanks...
Just changed mine with an after market (Fram CF10140) and the foam are NOT used with the Outlander.
These model also fit many Nissan and they use the sticky foam sides.
Just trash the foam.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Claude_A
Just changed mine with an after market (Fram CF10140) and the foam are NOT used with the Outlander.
These model also fit many Nissan and they use the sticky foam sides.
Just trash the foam.

going to pick up a Fram CF10140 myself today. should be much cheap (hopeing) then the Wix I had.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:36 AM

so general concensus is to NOT use the foam inserts? It looks like this new one I got from the dealer doesn't have as good coverage to the left and right (it is narrower).

Also, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but the old filter had an arrow showing direction of air flow, which made you put it in a certain way (dealer put it in with the arrow pointing DOWN for the dorection of airflow). This one has MADE IN CHINA with arrows pointing up. So do I put it in with the arrows pointing up or down or does it even matter? It looks the same either way so I don't think it matters, but then why put arrows on it?

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
so general concensus is to NOT use the foam inserts? It looks like this new one I got from the dealer doesn't have as good coverage to the left and right (it is narrower).

Also, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but the old filter had an arrow showing direction of air flow, which made you put it in a certain way (dealer put it in with the arrow pointing DOWN for the dorection of airflow). This one has MADE IN CHINA with arrows pointing up. So do I put it in with the arrows pointing up or down or does it even matter? It looks the same either way so I don't think it matters, but then why put arrows on it?

Thanks!
I havent seen the foam insterts but the WIX I got ( Cant find the fram above locally to try) to replcae the other one has the arrows pointing down.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by theewz
I havent seen the foam insterts but the WIX I got ( Cant find the fram above locally to try) to replcae the other one has the arrows pointing down.
Is there any writing on it? Is the writing right side up when the arrow is pointing down?

The MADE IN CHINA writing is rightside up with the arrows pointing up - so maybe that means that the arrows are pointing to the side that goes up and isn't referring to the airflow.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:58 PM

So I put the new one in. I DID NOT use the foam siding (but the filter definitely doesn't cover as much area as the last one did) and I put the arrows pointing DOWN (although this means the MADE IN CHINA is now upside down).

Is this correct?

Quick Reply: difference in filter in glove box?