Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

DIfferent Hitch's????

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:32 PM

I have looked at the actual invoice of the car,
The sensors and tow kit came with it, at least it was that way from the port, not dealer installed.

speaking of dealer add ons, I have saw some dealers installed various things like door guard moulding, wheel well moulding, or pin striping. It makes me angry and go to another dealer.

speaking of weight distribution, the outlander has the most neutral distribution of all the SUVs I looked at in this class, I think a GT is about 56/44, and SE has even less weight in front.

Last edited by OutlanderGT; 07-02-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by OutlanderGT

I'm thinking of buying that car and was wondering if the tow kit reduces ground clearance or affect the car's handing. Looks like it weights alot.

Are you saying the aftermarket hitches like Curt hinder the removal of the spare tire?

By the way I am not sure if the rear park sensors for the car is useful or useless in this case, the hitch sticks out a bit. I noticed the outlanders that came from factory tow kit installed always also get the parking sensors added. Maybe helps you not the back the hitch into a wall as the sound is supposed to beep solid when it is about 1 foot away.
See photos below - sorry they aren't great. This is the Curt Class III hitch

- The hitch really doesn't stick out very far. It doesn't interfere in any way with the tailgate (although if you put a tow ball on, that would probably get in the way.
- It doesn't affect ground clearance. They exhaust muffler sits lower.
- While it does slightly overlap the spare tire, it certainly doesn't press on it hard and doesn't hinder removal of the tire - you have to manoeuvre the tire around the hitch, but I really wouldn't worry at all about it as it is just not an issue - I have removed my spare a couple of times with no probs.

Last edited by benshepherd; 07-03-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by benshepherd
See photos below - sorry they aren't great. This is the Curt Class III hitch

- The hitch really doesn't stick out very far. It doesn't interfere in any way with the tailgate (although if you put a tow ball on, that would probably get in the way.
- It doesn't affect ground clearance. They exhaust muffler sits lower.
- While it does slightly overlap the spare tire, it certainly doesn't press on it hard and doesn't hinder removal of the tire - you have to manoeuvre the tire around the hitch, but I really wouldn't worry at all about it as it is just not an issue - I have removed my spare a couple of times with no probs.
Thanks for that, do you have a picture from the back?

I decided to not get the car that came with factory hitch, because the aftermarket ones seem to look much better. The square tubing look better with the car.
I also liked this one and will probably install the OEM tow harness at the same time.

Trailer Hitch for 2012 Mitsubishi Outlander - Hidden Hitch 87444

Old 07-03-2012, 02:44 PM

Its probably a good idea to install one of those hitches with the two loops on the side regardless of if you tow or not. As if you ever need to be towed out of a ditch or something, the tow wire will destroy your rear bumper or you will need to remove the bumper.