Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

DPF system fault

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 04:34 AM
Default DPF system fault

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can shed a little light:
I have a 2014 diesel Outlander. I had the check DPF system warning light come on and the vehicle went into limp mode. After 2 weeks of stuffing around I was told I needed the DPF replaced. Got that done and 2 weeks later same issue. $4k + out of pocket now limping along the Hume Fwy to get home (again - happened in almost the same spot too).
Have I just paid to have a part replaced that's not faulty (doubtful they will ever admit to that anyway) ?
Would there be any connection to it raining quite substantially both times?
The part was replaced by Mitsubishi so will be going back there but just wondering if anyone has had similar issues?

Thanks
Jane

Old 05-02-2020, 02:08 PM
Default Fault found?

Did you find out what this was?

Originally Posted by Mz_jane82
Hi Guys,

I have a 2014 diesel Outlander. I had the check DPF system warning light come on and the vehicle went into limp mode. After 2 weeks of stuffing around I was told I needed the DPF replaced. Got that done and 2 weeks later same issue. $4k + out of pocket now limping along the Hume Fwy to get home (again - happened in almost the same spot too).
Have I just paid to have a part replaced that's not faulty (doubtful they will ever admit to that anyway) ?
The part was replaced by Mitsubishi so will be going back there but just wondering if anyone has had similar issues?

Thanks
Jane

Old 05-02-2020, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lcol98
Did you find out what this was?
Apparently the guys 'accidently' cut the turbo boost pipe when they replaced the dpf. My gut feeling is that it was this pipe the whole time and they were covering their own backsides by admitting fault - I really don't think they would have otherwise.

Old 10-17-2021, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mz_jane82
Hi Guys,

Thanks
Jane
hi yes had a similar issue red dpf light came on went into limp with engine management light on
Quick look around engine bay . Found intercooler pipe with split in it so no pressure to flow on to turbo and therefore limp mode ... replaced part reset lights via obd snap on
computer and back to normall
hope it helps

Old 10-17-2021, 08:04 PM
Default DPF System Fault

Hello folks, happened to me as well, my top turbo inter cooler pipe split at 125K kms which told the ECU due to a lack of pressure to fuel up more, consequently it sooted up my DPF and the engine went into limp mode. I tried to take my DPF to a local agent here in Perth WA but apparently lots of people who think the problem is a DPF (like the car computer fault codes tells them) is normally an upstream issue ie leaky/faulty fuel injectors, split pipes etc. The agent referred me to a local diesel mechanic who tried to perform an active burn with a $10K diagnostic tool on the DPF to clear it, but the computer says NO...too sooted up, so $1500 later (DPF removed/cleaned installed/ 2 new inter cooler hoses, gaskets etc) the issue was fixed. The big Q is why the inter cooler hose split only after 125K kms ??...various thoughts..inferior pipe material.....maybe...my thoughts .... the local dealer did a carbon clean around 110K kms and I believe the active agent to remove the carbon caused the internal wall of the pipe to degrade; add that to the toxic cocktail of substances in the system, it probably degraded faster than expected. Take note at 130K kms my turbo inlet rubber seal deteriorated and the inlet turbo turbine ate that...generated a sound like a police siren...so please check your turbo seal that fits into the plastic snorkel from your air cleaner. Think Mitsubishi would sell me an individual seal,,,nooooo....$350 for a complete new plastic snorkel unit with seal ....I ended up going to a seal place here in Perth and got a 1m roll of moulded rubber impervious to heat, fuel and oil for $5 and it fits better than the original.