Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

DRL/Fog Light issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 07:55 PM
Default DRL/Fog Light issue

Hi. New member looking for a little help please.
I just bought a 2011 RVR GT/ Outlander Sport, and I've got a problem with the DRLs and the Fogs not working.
I have checked the DRLs when the vehicle is in gear...nothing. I checked the fogs in both daylight and darkness, just in case it makes a difference...nothing.
The fuses have power and continuity, and the relays work (I tested them in the horn position). I also checked for power at the sockets with a test light. Nothing. I only eye balled the bulbs since there was no power to the sockets.
I will be getting a hold of the selling dealer (non Mitsubishi) since I have a warranty, but I figured I would check here first in case it's something simple like a ground.
Any help would be appreciated, even if it's just to tell me to post in the general Tech section. Thanks.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:44 PM

To confirm, your GT has HID headlamps?

If so, the DRL's down in the fog light location only are on when the headlights are off.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:49 PM

Sorry for the delayed reply, odd shift hours.

Yes, I have the HID headlamps. I am aware that the DRL's are only available with the headlamps off. I should have been a bit more specific by saying that I only tested the DRL's during the daylight (oops), and that I tested them with the light selection in all the optional positions: Off, Auto, Marker Light, On, On High. Same goes for the fogs.

I have downloaded the service manual from somewhere else on the site, (Thanks to Vader for that!), and hopefully will find a common ground for all 4 bulbs. Fingers crossed because it's a pain to not only return to the dealer (distance), but to find the time to do so.

Thanks for your help, and if you or anyone else has some info/suggestions, please dish. I will post the final findings once everything is working.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:43 PM

Hmm, unless it's a fuse/electrical issue I don't know.

FYI: if the car is started with the Parking Brake activated, the DRL's will remain off until the Parking Brake is released.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:00 PM

Previous owner messed with harness modifying it for HIDs?

Old 07-01-2014, 11:10 AM

HID's are factory as far as I know. The previous owner, from what I've found in the car, was a professional woman with a little $$$. I got the GOOD options: Panoramic roof, Harmon Kardon 9 speaker sound system, even electronic rust proofing. The vehicle had only 47k km's and was in very good condition overall. It flew through the safety inspection with absolutely nothing wrong (minus the lights). It's been my experience that someone who cares about their car as much as she did wouldn't half a$$ something, or allow someone else to.

The mechanic who did the inspection is a masochist who actually enjoys electrical troubleshooting, and said that there was nothing obvious. I'll see what the dealer says and go from there.

@tdford: I forgot to mention that the parking brake was off. (oops)

Old 07-01-2014, 03:11 PM

Headlights aren't set to auto are they??

Old 07-01-2014, 09:53 PM

I tested with the switch in every combination: Daylight, darkness. In gear, in Park, with the switch set to Off, Auto, Marker, On, On High. I still get no power at the sockets. The head lights, tail lights, and indicators all work fine.

The only other issue is that the TPMS light is on. But I don't see how that would make a difference since a friend's Lancer runs that way with winter rims and the lights all work.