Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Dying when I try to start

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Default Dying when I try to start

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander with 43,000 miles that has automatic transmission with a manual option. It normally works great and until now I've had no problems since I bought it in November. But a couple days ago, it felt odd and a little shaky when I turned it on, and it seemed like it took longer to accelerate while on the highway. I didn't think much of it, especially because of the temperature outside which I thought might have played a part (it was 100-plus degrees). But then yesterday, when I turned it on, it felt to me like it wanted to go when I stepped on the gas but it didn't. The needle showed the engine was struggling to reach 1,000 rpm. But then, it would die and the A/T temp light would turn on. This same thing has happened numerous times since. Sometimes, when the car struggles to go, it moves several feet and then dies. Sometimes, the service engine soon light and the oil light go on along with the A/T temp light. But once I restart the vehicle a few times, it eventually begins working pretty normally. It does seem, though, like it takes longer to shift and accelerates really rapidly when it finally does. I took it to Midas and they said all the fluids were clean and full, and they had no idea what the problem was. The Mitsubishi dealership was closed but someone there said over the phone that it sounded like there was a problem with the car's computer. He said it was fine for me to drive it. But I'm still a little worried, and I'm supposed to drive a few hours tomorrow (Sunday) for a two-day trip. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem? Are there any temporary fixes, or is there anything I should know to help the problem? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Default RE: Dying when I try to start

This sounds very much like an exhaust blockage. A mates Kia Sportage 4x4 did exactly this, wouldn't accellerate when pedal pressed. He couldn't even get it past 30Km/h. Went to an exhaust place, and they found that his cat converter had failed.

Might want to check that out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14107/58E0405D57FC43638EA7A76F947E5027.jpg[/IMG]