Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Electronic Rust Control Modules

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Angry Electronic Rust Control Modules

Was wondering if anybody has purchased this gadget when they bought their Outlander?

Reason I am asking is that my wife had one installed when we bought ours. Recently I was involved in a minor fender bender that required the drivers side fender to be replaced. I took it to where I work to have the repairs done (I am a bodyman/painter) and when I went to remove the fender I had two bolts snap the heads off. Removed the broken bolts from the nuts to find that the bolts where covered in rust. When I finally got the fender off I find all the factory welds on the uppper apron covered in rust. Vehicle is only 2 years old and only has 33,000 kms on it. WTF! Dealership has no idea if this is covered under a warranty, said that they will find out and get back to me, cough bull**** cough.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by csherwood
Was wondering if anybody has purchased this gadget when they bought their Outlander?
I bought the electronic rust protection too. I'm not sure of its effectiveness. The underside of my vehicle is rusting but I don't expect it to look like polished stainless steel under there either.

I think the oil sprays do a better job on roads that are salted. But I'll reserve judgement until my Outlander becomes a 10 year old beater and I'll see how it holds up then.

Electronic rust protection only warranty's rust through in panels if I remember correctly.

CN

Old 01-30-2011, 10:18 AM

Electronic rust protection is mostly a fake. It does nothing except for areas several inches around the electrodes.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:24 PM

It depends on which type of modules is installed, and is it done properly.
There are the cheap ones, where under the module is a contact point to the body. Those ones are kind of useless, because you are only having one point attach for the whole car.

The good ones are a regular module, plus four patches, one for each corner of the vehicle. Those ones work a lot better.

I have seen one installer install one of those on a car. He attach the module with the contact points to the plastic fuse box...

Old 11-27-2017, 02:34 PM

Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I want to remove it from mine. I'm pretty confident it has done nothing and I suspect it is interfering with the block heater to mess up cold starting.

When car is plugged in overnight it sputters and stalls on first one or two starts, if not plugged in it starts fine (back to back tests -20C overnight).