Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Electronic Rust Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Default Electronic Rust Prevention

Anyone use the electronic rust prevention devices? (Like SymTech or others) I usually use RustChek on my vehicles with good results, but after reading some comments about the rusted brake rotors, I wonder if this type of elecronic rust prevention might be better. Any comments?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 10-01-2010, 10:07 AM

I have the electronic rust module from the dealer. You basically end up paying for the "insurance" that they will repair any panels that "rust through". I doubt they would cover rotors, exhaust parts, etc.

The electronic module does not stop rotors from rusting which I can see on my vehicle - but then again neither does the oil spraying. If they are spraying your rotors they are doing it wrong.

If I were to do it again from the beginning - I would go with an oil spray from a reputable place that has a guarantee for replacement on rust through if you keep the oil spray maintained every year or two.

The big problem is the leaking oil for a week or two after the application.

I would highly recommend some sort of corrosion resistance program if you live in an area where salt is applied on the roads. Electronic is better than nothing but it isn't magic.

My $0.02

Old 10-01-2010, 09:01 PM

Thanks for your input. I live in Richmond Hill Ontario, so I will be doing some type of rust prevention. I am used to the rust check spray dripping for a week or so, so I will likely go that route. So far, I have had pretty good results using rust check. Usually runs about $120 a year, so I can get almost 6 applications for the dealer asking price of the Sym Tech electronic module.

My thought about the rotors, was since it it an electronic type device, the the rotors being metal might benefit from it. I guess just wishful thinking on my part.

Mark