Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Engine issues

Old 12-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Default Engine issues

Hey guys! Been awhile.....
So my 2003 outlander AWD has been a mechanical night mare since I bought it in march.....yes i bought it broken but the damn thing still isn't fixed!
Currently the engine light is on and the mechanic found a small leak in the filler neck.....waiting on an opportunity to get her in the shop to fix that.

But now I'm noticing my breaks are grinding on and off.....there is nothing wrong with them mechanically so the mechanic says so why are they grinding!? Started for a couple days, didn't drive it the Sunday before going to the mechanic....didn't grind all the way to the mechanic an he didn't find anything...

Next I'm noticing she is shifting late and revving high. I'll be going 120KM on the highway and revs at 3000. I know that's not insane but it's higher then she used too and same thing with shifting. It's worse starting cold and from 1st to 2nd gear. However getting up to speed on the highway today she didn't shift into 5th until 4500! There is tip tronic in my vehicle but ive tried using it and it doesn't work. I tried using it after the revving stuff started.

Sorry for the paragraph! Any thoughts from all you kind people here that know a million more things about cars then me are more then welcome!

Thanks

Old 12-09-2013, 11:13 AM

As far as your transmission issues, two basic questions to rule out. Is your transmission full of fluid? When was the fluid last changed?

When you hear brake grinding, is it severe or just a mild grinding? Could it be that your rotors are getting a slight rust on the surface?

I'm betting your filler neck and engine light are related. You'd get a light on if you left your gas cap off as well.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:36 AM

I have no idea about the fluid....if its not crazy expensive I can definitely look into changing that. I have a power train warranty until march so I want to see if they will fix the transmission stuff.....

I hear the grinding when I'm almost completely to a stop. When the pedal is compressed significantly....I can drown out the noise with music so I don't think it's severe no but I wouldn't call it a light noise either....the breaks look rusty if that means anything. I've had them replaced about 6 months ago (seized driver side caliper)

Yes I am hoping that getting the filler neck replaced will solve my engine light issue!

Thank you for your reply

Old 12-10-2013, 11:48 AM

auto tranny fluid should be a rosy pink. if it has a dipstick and can put a drop on a white piece of paper, you can see if it looks burnt or not. with the fluid warmed up and the vehicle in park, you can check the level. if your transmission fluid is low, it will behave oddly.