Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Engine Re Mapping

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Default Engine Re Mapping

Hi All

First post and from the UK, I guess that there will be very few UK members here. Great resource for info and very much appreciated.

Just bought my self a 2008 outie 2.0 D I D Model and I am really impressed but would love to up the power, its just a bit lacking. Has anyone had their outie's ecu re mapped and if so was it worth it

Any other tips for extracting that extra Horse Power

Cheers

Paul

Old 08-21-2009, 07:35 PM

For forced induction usually reprogramming the chip is the biggest bang for your buck but this will reduce engine durability. B/c a diesel is torque rich you can also add underside pulleys to reduce powertrain loss for accessories like a/c (without losing a lot of noticeable torque), a better air filter and less restrictive exhaust will also help.

But keep your eye on your finances though - there will be a point of diminishing returns where it would be cheaper to sell/trade in the Outtie and buy something with more power to begin with.

A more direct way would be to add a larger psi turbo but this will significantly reduce engine durability - especially if that engine was not designed with high tolerances for greater boost - which I don't is the case or not. Fuel consumption may also increase.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:20 AM

I dont have an Outlander, but have the Citroen C Crosser with 2.2 Citroen HDI 156 ps engine. A lot of the info on this forum is good for that car as well. Like you I felt it could do with a little more power and torque. I got an add-on chip with K&N filter installed rather than a re-map . This brought the power up approx 25% and the torque up by approx 30%.

The car now has to be left in 4 wheel drive as torque steer is bad on all but the lightest of throttle settings in 2WD (bad wheel spin in the wet). The car feels a lot quicker, and also because I dont have to change gear so much is now using slightly less fuel. I'm now seeing 40 to 42 MPG( up from 37-39) on long runs and averages 36 to 38 (up from 34 - 37)normally.

I've just returned from a Trip to France towing a caravan. I only had to change out of 6th a couple of times on autoroute/motorway hills. The rest of the time the car traveled on cruise at 60 to 70 mph and returned 25mpg towing a carvan loaded with wine!!

My opinion - Yes it is worth doing, - but pick a reputable local tuner and dont go for too big a jump in power.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:47 AM

There is a power kit from RallyArt distributed and agreed by the Mitsubishi, special designed for 2l diesel engines (you keep the Outie warranty). It will get 167 bhp instead of 140 bhp from your engine. I have it and it makes the difference especially when you need a 'bump' of extra power, the car going like a rocket.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by rcostin
There is a power kit from RallyArt distributed and agreed by the Mitsubishi, special designed for 2l diesel engines (you keep the Outie warranty). It will get 167 bhp instead of 140 bhp from your engine. I have it and it makes the difference especially when you need a 'bump' of extra power, the car going like a rocket.
...BUT... it's £599+VAT and fitting, which in my book is a BUCKET load of money when you can get a remap much cheaper, and a "chip" upgrade even cheaper still.

Shades