Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Factory Backup Camera Interface

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Default Factory Backup Camera Interface

Hi all,
I just bought an 11 Outlander Sport SE last week and I'm very happy so far. When I bought it they had to take the NAV out and replace it with the 6 disc RF system. They left the backup camera on the back that comes with that package. Here is my question. I really have no need to upgrade to the factory NAV in the future but I want to take advantage of that backup camera. I am going to buy a Gentex autodim mirror with the built in screen and my question is what kind of plug is on the end of the factory backup camera? Is it just a standard RCA plug that can go right into the mirror? If not where would I find an interface that can turn it into a factory RCA plug?

Old 07-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by stealththx
Hi all,
I just bought an 11 Outlander Sport SE last week and I'm very happy so far. When I bought it they had to take the NAV out and replace it with the 6 disc RF system. They left the backup camera on the back that comes with that package. Here is my question. I really have no need to upgrade to the factory NAV in the future but I want to take advantage of that backup camera. I am going to buy a Gentex autodim mirror with the built in screen and my question is what kind of plug is on the end of the factory backup camera? Is it just a standard RCA plug that can go right into the mirror? If not where would I find an interface that can turn it into a factory RCA plug?

I will suggest cut the wire and wire it to a RCA male (which can be found easily in local stores or at the back of your DVD player).

Old 07-05-2011, 07:01 PM

Hmm, I really don't want to cut into any factory wires just yet. I think I'll check with the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks

Old 07-08-2011, 05:17 PM

Hmm, I really don't want to cut into any factory wires just yet. I think I'll check with the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks
They'll say sell your house and come with money. Lots of money

Old 07-08-2011, 05:21 PM

Don't really have to, get a aftermarket harness and cut the wire on that.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:48 PM

Why would the dealer take the factory Navigation out?

Old 07-09-2011, 09:05 AM

I was looking for a specific package and the only one they could locate had everything I wanted plus navigation. I could not justify spending $2000 for something I get on my phone for free via Google Maps. I asked them to leave the camera on which they did. I assume the harness is still behind the headunit that has the cable for the backup camera. I am still trying to figure out though how we are going to be able to use that factory wire and hook it up to the RCA input on the mirror. I'm pretty sure all aftermarket backup cameras use an RCA plug but when you deal with proprietary factory interfaces these are the problems you have. PAC got back to me and said they don't have anything that will work...same with Crutchfield. The dealer wasn't even sure what kind of plug it uses. If I can't find an adapter or a solution I might just have to look into getting a wireless camera that uses the RCA input.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by greatcat
Don't really have to, get a aftermarket harness and cut the wire on that.
I didn't even think of that.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:24 PM

I didn't even think of that.
I recently hooked up the stock RCA inputs (in the central arm rest box) to my aftermarket HU.

What I figured is, most of the info you can get is about the stock navi unit and the plug on it. However, there are 5 or 6 plugs on the stock navi but only 3 in the car.

For your specific question and thanks for forum members built up this thread:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=17468

there should be a way to get it done without leaving the stock camera alone.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:46 PM

I got the mirror in today myself with the Blendmount for the radar detector as well although I don't have any of the wiring done yet. Literally took 10 seconds to pull the stock mirror off and another 30 to find a Torx T20. I am going to call around to local shops tomorrow to get a price on the wiring. Hopefully they will find an easy way to do it. I will look through that thread too thanks.