Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Final pics of Aftermarket NAV install

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Default RE: HELP!!! IS THERE A KIT 4 AFTERMARK. 2DIN NAV??????????

@nothingincommon,
congrats on the new nav intstall
nice and sharp

just a couple of questions though...
what happened now with the factory bluetooth?
whats your take on the navi?, pretty accurate, does it say turns by street names?

Old 11-29-2007, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: goldenboy

@nothingincommon,
congrats on the new nav intstall
nice and sharp

just a couple of questions though...
what happened now with the factory bluetooth?
whats your take on the navi?, pretty accurate, does it say turns by street names?
so far im impressed with the pioneer nav.. tons of "points of interest" and it seems fairly up to date. at least for down here in south florida.
the mitsu fact. blue tooth is completely wasted on this unit. Youd have to get the pioneer bluetooth in order to get that enabled

i got the sirius and ipod cable as that is all I really wanted. the MMCS install kit is 100% necessary as it comes with the panel and wiring harness needed to wire everything properly..

I like the fact that the units screen is fixed, and that there is no motor opening and closing constantly..

the only thing i dont like is that the screen is smaller 6.1 versus 7 .. but there are some pioneers that are 7"

$320 MMCS install kit
$610 AVIC D3 unit
$25 ipod cable
$85 sirius
$150 backup cam

$1200 for what I believe to be a great system... im very happy with it.. if sirius and ipod control on the unit are not important to you..then maybe the MMCS is better.. it really boils down to what you are going to do with it

Old 11-29-2007, 10:54 PM

Aftermarket is always better than stock.Too bad they made it so difficult to replace the original HU.But if is there a will,we'll find a way!smile

Old 11-30-2007, 12:40 PM

Pardon my ignorance here but does this unit still allow you to use all of the radio buttons on the steering wheel?

Your install looks really great by the way! I've been thinking about getting something like this, you've definitely peeked my curiousity.

Sean

Old 11-30-2007, 01:53 PM

hey guys, nothingincommon great install as you guys know i did this a while ago, but it was a complete system. as far as it goes right now, i dont have the steering wheel controls hooked up and nothingincommon wont either. its something i dont want to do myself in case i screw something up and cause a bag to go off. nothingincommon and anyone else planning on doing this, i suggest going to a place that is responsible for screwing up your car that way you have warranty and a piece of mind. i havent done it yet because i dont wanna spend anymore money on this car yet, i have anopther project im on and my money goes to it. but i strongly recommend getting it done professionally. and as far as the gap goes, nothingincommon where did you get that filler? i couldnt find anything for it.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:16 PM

Aftermarket might be cheaper and maybe better in some respects over Factory but you loose some nice features (Outlander).

The Steering wheel controls will vanish. Unless they give you an attachment to add to the wheel otherwise its to the radio panel access.

The Nav directly interfaces to the speakers or Amp. You would need another cable to adapt to the speakers and power.

CAN System.. It interfaces the car CAN to the NAV or vis versa. Aftermaket would need to make a similar interface, but so far only the Outie and Lancer have this unit, so cost will be too high.

MMCS controls addition functions of certain features on the car, aftermarket no.. (CAN)
Resale value.. Factory Install vs Aftermarket, That I have no idea.

If you had a 6 disc unit like I had with Sirius and HF, its a no brainer to do the Factory. The Sirius audio connects to the Nav and the CAN talks to the Sirius unit via CAN giving you the options of Programming the Sirius, stored stations, etc. When I turned on my NAV unit, my favs where still listed like it was on the 6cd.

HF is a CAN box unit function. Wont change if you already had it. But the NAV unit will display info.

The Outlander is the first car that has radio recvrs and transmitter placed around the car for FAST and other items.
I've yet to determine if some sensors have transmitters. All 2.4 ghz.

Even the simply sunroof has a CPU device.

Im gonna look at the workshop manual this weekend and learn how this whole package works.

Old

Old 12-01-2007, 05:24 AM

truly very nice work...
im thinking of going the same path soon
andgiven the reason mentioned above, im leaning more torwards the MMCS
however, on the ascpect of verstility as to its audio-video capabilities and nav capabilities...aftermarket has a slight but clear cut edge imho (ex. Pioneer AAVIC-Z2 and the like)
as to interfacing with the steering wheel controls...the interface hardware is available, and is just a matter of getting it instaled by the right people

Old 12-01-2007, 07:33 AM

Hey, it came out real nice. Could you just clarify a couple things you did...

-You were able to use the OEM (non-nav) mounting bracket without drilling - except you only could mount with 1 bolt?
-Also... you mention the "$320 MMCS install kit". What is that, besides the dash panel assembly - which was only like $160? ('only'.. heh!). I already have that, and wasn't expecting to buy anything more when I buy the 2din head.

I like the look of the pioneer too. I wonder if that works with non-ipod USB mp3 players....

Old 12-01-2007, 09:48 AM

Chili -

The MMCS nav install kit includes the following:

The dash panel that surrounds the Nav unit
the mounting brackets
wire harness

These three things are vital in order to have a great looking install. Its $300+ but well worth it.

I dont think the pioneer has cables for other mp3 players , I could be wrong. it does have an A/V aux port in the front.

if I were you , id sell your dash panel ( which would sell quick) and just shell out the money for the mmcs nav install kit..

Old 12-01-2007, 10:02 AM

The gap between the unit and the panel is filled with common stereo supply parts...

you can get this and any car installation place and cut it to your needs..

Quick Reply: Final pics of Aftermarket NAV install