Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Freshly Detailed Outtie

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:24 PM
Default RE: Freshly Detailed Outtie

OTO27 - Some people say to remove wax by using the dish soap Dawn. I think it should stay in the kitchen. Your best bet is to remove by using a clay bar. This will almost make the paint silky smooth, so you kill two birds with one stone. Locally, I like Clay Magic clay bar, which comes with lubricant and it is like under 15 dollars (US). You can also pick up the Mother's or Meguiar's kits, as they are pretty good too. To use clay, you spray on the lubricant, and take like 1/4 of the bar and lightly glide it over the paint until it glides effortlessly. Wipe off the lubricant, and move to the next spot. This also removes fallout, rail dust, tar, sap, overspray, and most things that you can't remove with regular wash soap.

Nexter - The sealants that the dealer offers aren't worth it. They are one of the dealer add-ons where they make big bucks. Doing it yourself is cheaper, and I feel I would do a better job on my 20-30 thousand dollar car than some guy getting paid 10 bucks an hour to wash cars. I think I would put more care into it than they would. Not saying they don't care about their job... but it is OUR hard earned money. A sealant is like a wax, but it is synthetic. A wax is also called a carnauba wax which is a natural product. Sealants are man made and last longer than most waxes. Their downfall is the look isn't as warm and as deep as a wax can be on a properly prepped car. If you live in a place where it snows or rains a lot, I would suggest a sealant for better protection for your paint. If you are like me, and live where it rains like 2 days a year , you can go for maximum looks. Sealant I like is Jeff's Werkstatt Acrylic Jett Trigger. Really easy to use, lasts about 6 months or so, and looks almost as good as beauty waxes. Only like 15 dollars. I have a lot of favorite waxes, and if you are interested in the wax route, let me know the color of your car, how long you are willing to go before reapplying, and price point.

bnilguy - Are you autopia? Those are some good products you have, You should post some pics, I kind of wish I got a black Outtie... make me jealous!!

Old 07-19-2007, 08:08 PM

+1 on the clay bar. I was always amazed that it would take off so many little bumps but never even leave the faintest swirl or scratch. The car was never smoother than after the clay bar and a wax job. Not to mention it's a relatively easy job.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: antlip

The holes in the front bumper need to be drilled out where the little dimple is. Then you put the black ancor thing that comes with the outlander in there and screw the plate to it. The black thing will suck in and get fat as you are screwing the plate on.
what is the black thing? is it a plate backer? I guess mine never made it on the car. Is there one on the back?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:44 AM

ORIGINAL: BoldlyGoingNowhere

ORIGINAL: antlip

The holes in the front bumper need to be drilled out where the little dimple is. Then you put the black ancor thing that comes with the outlander in there and screw the plate to it. The black thing will suck in and get fat as you are screwing the plate on.
what is the black thing? is it a plate backer? I guess mine never made it on the car. Is there one on the back?

Its an anchor set up. Have you ever drilled a hole in a brick wall or your drywall "wall". Then put a plastic anchor in then screwed something to the wall? Its the same theory. Later tonight after work when I have more time I will make a rough drawing of what it looks like. The thing is about 1/2 thick round. With a flat end that prevents it from falling through the hole. Like a built on washer. Thne on the other end there is a bolt built into it. Explaining what it looks like is hard and a picture will defently help you later. I will also try to find one online.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:45 AM

Forgot to add. I called the dealer looking for a bracket and the only part they came up with is the black thing and the screw to hold on the front plate. The price was something dumb like .97$ cents. So if you didnt get yours with the car buying it is cheap.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:08 AM

Yeah..I'm an autopian..just ask my checking account LOL

I've got so many waxes and sealants, I don't know what to choose..16, 26, 21, KAIO, KSG, JW P:S, AJT, S100, IW845, AW, NXT, 4Star 4-54, 2180, 2685/PW, 1000P (ok..that was worse than I thought)

I'll post some pics after hopefully a good cleaning this weekend!

Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 AM

ORIGINAL: abrcrombe

Armor all tire foam onto the tires,.
With most tyre foam products are very expensive what I do is buy 5 liters of tyre dressings that most car dealer use when send new cars out, its a lot cheaper and lasts longer than tyre foam.

My dealer quoted me £199 to put supagard paint protection treatment on my new car I found the stuff on ebay uk for £5 so am going to do it myself. I have told them not to pdi polish the car. They say it works for 3 years so only need to wash the car and not polish it. I am not sure if it works but for £5 its worth a try.

my outlanders black so it takes more time to look good I always found white cars are easier to keep clean.

Puddy

Old 08-30-2007, 02:11 PM

my outlanders black so it takes more time to look good I always found white cars are easier to keep clean.

Puddy
But nothing looks better than black when it's clean (for those few minutes)

I put on a coat of Meguiar's #26 wax this past Sunday and the Outtie looked amazing..liquid black!