Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Fuel guage - display increments

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Default RE: Fuel guage - display increments

ORIGINAL: nsg7

My electronic gas guage displays dropping fuel volume in what seems to be quarter inch increments -is this normal? I took a close look at the pixels in the fuel display bar, which are of course pretty small, but as fuel drops the display drops by several pixels rather than byone or two. The result is while driving, my tank appears to be exactly half full, and the next fuel level indication is a quarter inch below that, instantly.
I get about 350km per tank though.

2008 V6 LS Outalander
Toronto, Canada
Hey there!! My Outie is mess in the brain...LOL, one sec, it tell me XXX Km's till Gas, then another sec, it tells me YYY Km's Till Gas. I try this when I was in Park...LOL
I dont like the electronic gas guage, mine is always incorrect =(

BTW nsg7, you have in Toronto, Canada? HIGH 5 If You DO!!!
Where you bought your Outie from? Dealer?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:38 PM

ShortyRider, I agree.

I filledup the outtie last night, drove 2 miles to my house. That night I went to the gas station which is less than 1 mile and came back. Got in today and all of the sudden it says 250 mi left and I dont have a full tank any more. Its one level down from full??? As soon as I start driving to work (city & highway mpg) it gets back to full on the gauge and went from 250 mi left, up to 280 mi left. So with lower mpg, lowered the miles left, which lowered the fuel gauge?? and when the mpg's went up, so did miles left, and fuel gauge went up??

This electronic, auto-reset mpg, fuel guage is not the greatest. I understand that as it calculates it changes the fuel guage and mpg's. But just because I floored it getting onto an onramp doesnt mean I'm going to keep driving like that. It needs to be less "dramatic".

But it is what it is. I'm pretty use to it after 7 months, but that was the first I had seen the fuel actually go up.

Note: temperature was not a factor, was warmer in my garage then the 20 deg outside.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:54 AM

The remainingrange is relative to the fuel consumption, this means that it your in the city, the range will be lower than if your on the away. And if you start driving in the city and than hit the away, the range will start creeping up as you MPG improve, and eventually start dropping again as the fuel gets used up.
It's not showing you wrong info, its just showing you how far you can go with the fuel you have, based on your recent MPG.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:14 AM

I know that its showing current info based on MPG. The POINT I was trying to make was that the fuel guage graph bar was down, then went to full based on the better mpg I was getting.

Meaning, it showed less fuel in the tank when actually there was more... that would be incorrect info. MPG readings shouldn't change the fuel gauge. Thats what I dont like...

Old 02-16-2008, 01:19 PM

tdford,
I agree that our Outtie's "brain" determines the mileage, etc based on the current driving style somewhataggressively, but other similar systems I've used have been pretty much the same.

It is weird though that your gauge dropped down a notch after only 2 miles. I'm guessing thatsince it was such a short trip that you probably registeredpoor fuel economy for that 2 miles and the "brain"probably just made an assumptionand dropped the level a notch in anticipation of contiued poor mileage.

You may have already thought about this, butdoes your driveway slope? Maybethe gauge showslessbecause of that (the whole float in the tankissue).

Old 02-16-2008, 06:22 PM

LOL, why cant Mitsu Enginneers just go with a needle meter fuel gauge instead of an electric one =(

Old 02-17-2008, 09:23 AM

It'salot cheaper to make.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:52 PM

I noticed the gas gauge dropping in what appeared to be increments of about 1/8 of the gauge whenever there was movement in the gauge showing less fuel. Seems a little odd with digital technology that it couldn't be more gradual. I also don't understand with a digital gauge when they know how many gallons of fuel your tank holds they can't just display and LCD of gallons remaining.While I truly love my Mits there is absolutely no one display that is worth looking at for very long especially not the gas gauge.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:10 AM

Hi ShortyRider,
Yes Toronto, Canada;
I got my Outlander from North Toronto Mitsubishi (early Feb).

Old 02-23-2008, 10:58 AM

ORIGINAL: nsg7

Hi ShortyRider,
Yes Toronto, Canada;
I got my Outlander from North Toronto Mitsubishi (early Feb).
Ahh, North Toronto, I was going to look around there as well. I got mine from Markham Mitsubishi. You start seeing more Outlander nowdays, not a lot, but more.
So how do you like your Outlander??