Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Getting REALLY LOW mileage out of my Outlander 2010 GT with trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Default Getting REALLY LOW mileage out of my Outlander 2010 GT with trailer hitch

I am getting like 18-22 MPG on highway driving. Tarmac setting and auto gear.

And like 11-15 MPG on streets.

Just ridiculous...I am on 87 gas.

Same for you guys?

Old 11-18-2012, 01:42 AM

Where are you located? What country? What terrain? What temperatures?

You can add your location in the user CP

Old 11-18-2012, 07:36 AM

Sounds like what I get with my boat on.

It takes a major drop, even with the towing packagge.

I got better with my '11 in the 4wd setting, so next year I try it set on "snow" and see where it is. (not locked-that's reserved for winter)

Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 AM

I am in the Bay Area, California. Just driving flat freeways with no extreme weather conditions. Weather is quite nice most of the time.

You think it could all be due to towing package?

I was actually thinking of taking them to small claims court for misleading MPG.

Originally Posted by Burtonrider10022
Where are you located? What country? What terrain? What temperatures?

You can add your location in the user CP

Old 11-19-2012, 07:05 AM

First off, the towing package should have little-to-nothing to do with your issue. In full size pick-ups the OEM often changes the gearing for power/torque and sacrifices mileage, but I doubt Mitsu did that. Your towing package most likely consists of a receiver bar, wiring harness, and maybe an "overdrive OFF" button.

Second, small claims court will do no good unless you have A. Actual evidence. B. Research/scientific proof along with the evidence. C. A LARGE number of other complainants. If you REALLY are adamant about 'reporting' them, you can file a claim with the EPA. Many people filed them about Hyundai vehicles and now Hyundai and Kia have a HUGE payout going on. Millions of owners are getting some pretty big checks.

My guess is 1. California emmisions stuff is messed up. The CARB crap on other motorized stuff gets screwed up all the time. i'm not 100% sure if vehicles have it or not though. Same goes for your gas. IIRC Cali has a few additives in the fuel that can eff things up. Have you tried a higher grade? Premium may have less/different additives.

2. Your driving habits. People don't realize just how much MPG suffers by going over 55 MPH (yes, I realize 55 MPH is unreasonable, I'm just saying every MPH over 55 is lowering your efficiency a lot). Also, accelerating hard off a stop is bad for mileage. I bet if your REALLY focus on it you can squeeze a lot more out of a tank.

3. You vehicle. When was the last tune up? Clean, low viscosity oil? Synthetic oil helps with MPGs. Is your air filter clean? A dirty one can reduce airflow significantly and affect MPGs. A K&N or Cosworth "drop-in" filter only cost about $40 and they last the lifetime of your vehicle. On top of that, they greatly improve airflow and MPGs. I saw about a 3 MPG boost with my K&N. That means it paid for itself in about 4 tanks of gas!

4. On the same path as 3. Are your tires aired up well? Low tires create a lot of resistance and can noticeably impact MPGs. The tire itself makes a difference as well. If you bought a wider, taller, or heavier tire than stock you will see negative impacts. Skinny, light tires are better for gas mileage, just look at a Honda Civics tires lol

That's all I got really.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:21 PM

Also towing anything really drops the mileage with smaller suv/crosovers. The listed numbers are at the best possible conditions, add passengers, luggage, trailer harder acceleration combined with more braking (for safety) and the numbers take a nose dive. We notice a significant difference on our outlander with just a small Yakima Rocketbox. It is quite low and aerodynamic but our mileage takes quite a hit. Our friend (a salesman with MItsubishi) has a trailer and his outlander mileage drops by about half. The towing package, I believe mostly just involves an extra trasmission cooler. Very sorry for your trouble but I don't think Mitsubishi built much leeway into those estimates for real world driving especially with a trailer.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by firebuck
Also towing anything really drops the mileage with smaller suv/crosovers. The listed numbers are at the best possible conditions, add passengers, luggage, trailer harder acceleration combined with more braking (for safety) and the numbers take a nose dive. We notice a significant difference on our outlander with just a small Yakima Rocketbox. It is quite low and aerodynamic but our mileage takes quite a hit. Our friend (a salesman with MItsubishi) has a trailer and his outlander mileage drops by about half. The towing package, I believe mostly just involves an extra trasmission cooler. Very sorry for your trouble but I don't think Mitsubishi built much leeway into those estimates for real world driving especially with a trailer.
I don't think he's actually towing anything. He keeps saying towing "package" but not that he's actually pulling a trailer.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:01 PM

Yeah I do not tow anything. This is the "GT" model and came with the towing package. This is the "GT" without the rail rack holes.

I did the standard 30K, 60K tune-ups where they change the fluids and tire pressure, etc. But still same issues.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 PM

Sorry I misunderstood I thought there was actual towing involved.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by lastexile
Yeah I do not tow anything. This is the "GT" model and came with the towing package. This is the "GT" without the rail rack holes.

I did the standard 30K, 60K tune-ups where they change the fluids and tire pressure, etc. But still same issues.
I'd say for now, try to adjust your habits a little, use the A/C less, use 2wd more, and get a higher flowing air filter.