Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Getting Sirius Module not from dealership

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Default Getting Sirius Module not from dealership

I just bought a 2008 Outlander LS that is pre-wired for Sirius. I dont have the nav system or the upgraded radio, just the regular factory model. The dealership is telling me that I need to purchase from them a $350 module. It seems to me that i should be able to purchase this module, maybe from Crutchfield or the like, and install it myself for a fraction of the cost. However I have had no luck finding out any info about what module I need to purchase that would be compatible with my car. Can someone point me in the right direction? Any info would be great because regular radio stinks!!

Old 10-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Default RE: Getting Sirius Module not from dealership

well depending on how cheap you want to go, you can get a Sirius unit from Sam's Club or Costco for about $150 (includes 3 months subscription) and you can easily plug that into your car stereo. The one sold at your dealer has 6 months of service (I believe) and will be included in your warranty of the car for up to 5 years.

Other Online places sell the unit for $145 +120 installation kit , so $265
here is a link:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=215142

Old 10-03-2008, 06:33 PM

Thank you for the info. I will check into Sams Club and that link.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:11 PM

np,

By the way check Walmart too, my local Walmart has a Sirius kit for $118. (walmart and Sam's Club is the same company but sometimes their pricing makes no sense)

p.s.- Walmart, Sams, Costco, etc. only offer the standard aftermarket add-ons for the car. IF you want OEM look and feel you will need to buy it online from "www.mitsupartsman.com" as I said before their price is $265 total ...

Old 10-04-2008, 08:04 AM

to install the factory sirius you need the module and an install kit

p/n's mz360147ex for $280.46 and mz3601162ex $101.21

the factory install replaces the existing antenna with a satellite antenna, and the module is wired directly utilizing the your radios sateliite function.
Most satellite systems you purchase from walmart require the use of a fm modulator to transfer the signal to your radio which sacrifices your sound quality.
This may not bother you if your intent is to listen to Howard Stern...lol

Thanks for the plug Shambala...I've been of the board lately spending my time instead at killersites.com taking html 101
I will make that site function better I promise.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:42 AM

$280? whoops!

You may want to start by updating all your prices first...LOL

Old 10-08-2008, 01:58 AM

BTW you don't need the install kit if you use a little ingenuity and grab a $10 sirius antenna from any electronics place. There isametal ledge inside your rear wing the antenna magnet can sit on. No need to replace the roof antenna.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:20 PM

Soon to be new Outlander owner here, already wishing I had Sirius. I found a few threads on this topic but I still have some questions:

[ul][*]The 'module' that we're talking about here - is this just the satellite receiver?[*]Is there a spot behind the dash waiting for the module and is the installation pretty easy?[*]Is it true that there is some action required by the dealer service to activate or reset the MMCS, other than the normal Sirius activation?[/ul]

(My 08 has the Nav but no Sun & Sound if that matters).

Thanks.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:03 PM

Hi Wheeldog. recently bought Sirius kit I can comment the following thing:

1. Kit is made up of two parts: receiver MZ360147EX (Satelite radio unit, screws and installation manual) and kit of installation MZ360162EX (2 brackets, 1 antenna to feeder cable, 1 antenna base, nuts, nylon tie wrap, and installation manual. All necessary this and ready for you. . .

2. Yes, there are two posts in the back place of th bottom glove box waiting for Sirius receiver, it is the easy part; to install the antenna base, to run the cable from antenna to receiver are the "complicated†works, but it remembers, are the instructions and only it is necessary to follow them. . .

3. Yes. It is required that dealer it makes a reprogramming to the ETACS to activate the Sirius function; in the installation manual it is the procedure to do this. . .

A commentary, Sirius did not grant the 6 months free to me; I spoke with the salesman parts and he said to me, 'only the Out's that comes with Sirius installed from factory can obtain this service'

Old 12-15-2008, 09:23 PM

the module is a tuner and is easy to install, the install kit is basically the antenna and that is a little more involved. once installed

the instructions state that the module needs to be coded to the ETACS. if there is a procedure to code the module without the

scantool, i haven't seen it.

Quick Reply: Getting Sirius Module not from dealership