Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Grounding points?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 02:37 PM
Default Grounding points?

Does anyone have details of the grounding point on the outlander?

I've had the red battery light come on and the dash has a picture of a red battery and says service required.
I assumed the battery was the fault as it looks old and I recently left the car stood for nearly 3 weeks so bought a new one. Unfortunately it's still the same and also the central locking won't work although the lights flash when pressing the fob.

The wing mirrors also have stopped folding and the mmcs won't even turn on and the boot won't open!

I've not got round to checking fuses yet but as all these things are seperate devices I guess the grounding may be an issue??

When changing the battery the +ve terminal was manky and covered in crap so had to sand it along with all the secondary connectors they were that bad, not sure if that had anything to do with it

Old 11-17-2015, 10:29 AM

I think I've located the issue, on the main +ve connector there are 2 fuses on top the right side is a 120a which is on but on the left there is a big blob of solder so someone has obviously bodged it previously.....

I'm guessing the joints cracked as there is no connection between the battery and the wire coming from that fuse.

So my next question is what does that cable power and more importantly is this fuse also 120a as I can put an in line fuse in

Old 11-17-2015, 12:06 PM

120amps is likely the main power wire to the fuse panel inside the car, which then splits it into many smaller fuses.

Battery icon probably suggests low voltage inside the car. I'd check the half *** repair very carefully.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by gggplaya
120amps is likely the main power wire to the fuse panel inside the car, which then splits it into many smaller fuses.

Battery icon probably suggests low voltage inside the car. I'd check the half *** repair very carefully.
That's what I thought it was which is why I replaced the battery, I thought the devices which arent working were powered off so it did not drain the power. The mmcs will open to get dvd/CD in/out so it has power it just will not turn on.

I will disconnect the battery tomorrow and take the fuse assembly off, I'll short the connector out properly and see if it sorts the issue then I can get a proper fuse put in, I just need confirmation that both the top fuses are 120a

Old 11-17-2015, 03:11 PM

Did the car work for a little right after putting the battery in???

So perhaps the alternator is not charging the battery?

Old 11-18-2015, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by gggplaya
Did the car work for a little right after putting the battery in???

So perhaps the alternator is not charging the battery?
No it was the same, it starts perfectly and heated seats work, wipers etc so battery is fine and seems to be charging OK. Will go out in a bit and fix the dodgy solder and see if it sorts it (fingers crossed)

Old 11-18-2015, 01:11 PM

Well after removing the dirty solder and packing some tin foil (I know) into the fuse recess its made a connection and all seems working now albeit intermittantly as its just in loose.
Will have to put a permenant fuse in now and all should be OK.

The only issue I did encounter was the mmcs was asking for the programme disk so I thought it was knackered, luckily it was an upgraded HDD so I shoved the old one back in and it initialized and started working. Put the upgraded drive back in and it works as it did....... Not sure why it didn't like the new drive as its a copy, albeit with upgraded maps and music copied on.....