Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Headlights wont go off unless car is switched off

Old 06-05-2019, 11:25 PM
Default Headlights wont go off unless car is switched off

Hi Guys,

I have an Outlander 2015, since yesterday i have noticed that the low beam headlight wont go off unless i switch off the car completely. Earlier i was able to switch off the light by using the off option in the stick. Wondering if its some issue or or setting which i may have accidentally switched on. Has someone faced a similar situation ?

Thanks,

Subin

Old 06-10-2019, 10:06 AM

Do you see the tail lights stay on as well? If not you most likely have DRL activated provided you have the non-HID version. Start the car with the parking brake engaged and check the low beam. If DRL is activated the lights should not come on just yet. Release the parking brake and you should see the low beam to illuminate at lower intensity but no tail lights. Engaging the parking brake again will not turn the low beam off unless you turn off the engine and start over. Turn on the headlights and the light intensity should get higher with the tail lights coming on as well.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by AWCAWD View Post
Do you see the tail lights stay on as well? If not you most likely have DRL activated provided you have the non-HID version. Start the car with the parking brake engaged and check the low beam. If DRL is activated the lights should not come on just yet. Release the parking brake and you should see the low beam to illuminate at lower intensity but no tail lights. Engaging the parking brake again will not turn the low beam off unless you turn off the engine and start over. Turn on the headlights and the light intensity should get higher with the tail lights coming on as well.
Hi mate,
Thanks for your response. The low beam light and the parking lights turn on as in put my key in ignition. The won't go off unless i remove my keys. I had removed the battery connectors and let it rest for 5 mins then attached the wires again it seemed to solve the problem however only for a while and the problem is back to haunt again. You reckon you know why its happening ? And yes its a non HID version.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Subin View Post
Hi mate,
Thanks for your response. The low beam light and the parking lights turn on as in put my key in ignition. The won't go off unless i remove my keys. I had removed the battery connectors and let it rest for 5 mins then attached the wires again it seemed to solve the problem however only for a while and the problem is back to haunt again. You reckon you know why its happening ? And yes its a non HID version.
You still have not answered whether the taillights are also turning on with he low beam headlights, unless the parking lights in your term meant taillights. If this is the case then your lights are most likely wired to an ACC circuit. Check whether the headlight switch works. You mentioned that this weird behavior happened recently. it is unlikely but not impossible that your switch become defective. Check the wiring diagram of the switch and you will see that one lead must be an ACC (constant 12 V). Find a combination switch in a nearby junk yard and swap it if you made sure that the switch is defective.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by AWCAWD View Post
You still have not answered whether the taillights are also turning on with he low beam headlights, unless the parking lights in your term meant taillights. If this is the case then your lights are most likely wired to an ACC circuit. Check whether the headlight switch works. You mentioned that this weird behavior happened recently. it is unlikely but not impossible that your switch become defective. Check the wiring diagram of the switch and you will see that one lead must be an ACC (constant 12 V). Find a combination switch in a nearby junk yard and swap it if you made sure that the switch is defective.
Sorry mate yes both low beam headlight and the taillights remain on. I will try and follow your instructions thank you.