Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   Headlights wont go off unless car is switched off (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/headlights-wont-go-off-unless-car-switched-off-53280/)

dk42kc 11-06-2023 04:02 AM

re permanent headlights

Hi People,
I have a 2013 Outlander that yesterday (6 Nov 2023) decided to have lowbeam headlights and tail lights on when ever the ignition is on. Unable to turn of with column switch. "RESET" did not fix the situation.
Is this a software glitch or something more serious?

DibbyDibbyDJ 11-06-2023 04:24 AM

disconnect the battery and see if its all ok. If it is ok after that, then the ETACS needs replacing..

dk42kc 11-06-2023 03:22 PM

Permanent headlights

Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ (Post 338070)
disconnect the battery and see if its all ok. If it is ok after that, then the ETACS needs replacing..

Thank you BibbyDibbyDJ,
Disconnecting the battery did fix the "problem". If indeed it is a problem. Lets see if it comes back. I seem to recall that Volvo at one stage had head lights on with the ignition on regardless of manual head light switch. Is this a bit of left over computer code that is cropping up?
What ever the cause I would have to be convinced that replacing the ETAC is a sensible fix.
I can live with the headlights being on all the time.
Thanks again.

DibbyDibbyDJ 11-06-2023 07:49 PM

It is a fault, although it is a very small percentage that have the issue, I have not heard of there being any side effects from not replacing the ETACS, and just keep using it, so I agree that is what I would do

dk42kc 11-17-2023 06:41 PM

Permanent headlights

Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ (Post 338072)
It is a fault, although it is a very small percentage that have the issue, I have not heard of there being any side effects from not replacing the ETACS, and just keep using it, so I agree that is what I would do

Hi DibbyDibbyDj,
Further. It has been some 2 weeks since a battery disconnect. No headlights so far. Replacing the ETACS probably has the same effect as a battery disconnect. I cannot believe this is a hardware fault. More likely a software glitch. One would have to examine the source code to find out what is happening. As you imply, this is a minor issue not worth spending money on.

DibbyDibbyDJ 11-17-2023 10:32 PM

You dont have to believe, but its true, Hotline fix ZJ54-003 relates this exact problem. It can be made worse but cold and high humidity. Static electricity can also effect the operation. Components were protected better, and production method was changed in 2015 and 2016.

Dew or condensation can get onto the PCB of the ETACS, and cause a short. Disconnecting the battery will reset the built in relays, and discharge any static in the system, but the fault will reoccur.

Bears 12-30-2023 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by dk42kc (Post 338069)
Hi People,
I have a 2013 Outlander that yesterday (6 Nov 2023) decided to have lowbeam headlights and tail lights on when ever the ignition is on. Unable to turn of with column switch. "RESET" did not fix the situation.
Is this a software glitch or something more serious?

Mine has done exactly the same. I have tried everything. Getting really annoying!