Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

?? Heated windscreen washer kits??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Question ?? Heated windscreen washer kits??

How do you North Americans cope with the icy conditions we are now getting on this side of the Pond ?.
I am refering mostly to frozen windscreen ( windshield ) washers? Do you have heated systems or are there any 'after market' kits suitable for fitting to Outlanders? Our washer additives are useless below . -5deg C . How do you cope with freezing conditions over there??
Thanks,
Ron

Last edited by ronwill; 12-08-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: correct typo error
Old 12-08-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ronwill
How do you North Americans cope with the icy conditions we are now getting on this side of the Pond ?.
I am refering mostly to frozen windscreen ( windshield ) washers? Do you have heated systems or are there any 'after market' kits suitable for fitting to Outlanders? Our washer additives are useless below . -5deg C . How do you cope with freezing conditions over there??
Thanks,
Ron
Our washer fluids are good until at least -25C. Most of them are -40C or -45C rated.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vadimus
Our washer fluids are good until at least -25C. Most of them are -40C or -45C rated.

What he said.

They sell two different kinds here. The "summer" (which is what you probably have) and the "winter" type. The summer type has a more soapy additive which helps with getting bugs off the window. The winter type has less of a soapy application in favor of an additive that doesn't freeze until at least -40c.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:20 PM

You guys up there must get good stuff. Our "normal" fluid is only good to -20F and the "winter" fluid is good down to -34F.

One thing I never understand though. It can be at 20F, below freezing, but if I use my washer fluid, it ices over....irritating.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:02 AM
Smile

Just add isopropanol to the washer fluid and you are ok.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by ronwill
How do you cope with freezing conditions over there??
Thanks,
Ron
Migrate South for the winter

Old 12-11-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
You guys up there must get good stuff. Our "normal" fluid is only good to -20F and the "winter" fluid is good down to -34F.

One thing I never understand though. It can be at 20F, below freezing, but if I use my washer fluid, it ices over....irritating.
its pure uncut... I could smuggle some over the border for ya... lol

Old 12-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Cool ??? Heated windscreen washer kits???

Originally Posted by rip14
Migrate South for the winter
Wish I could !, preferably Oahu or somwhere similar !!.

Will have to try my additive neat by next weekend as we are promised a colder spell than the one we have just had......will have to look at a way of insulating the water container and sourcing heated washer jets off a Rolls Royce or similar perhaps.
Roll on summer and a Happy Christmas to all.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Banned

This look like it would work for you:
http://www.amazon.com/AlphaTherm-AT-.../dp/B0034GW1WW
I really haven't seen a heated blanket that would fit around the washer fluid tank since it is tucked tightly inside the engine compartment. No have I seen a heated element that would slip down into the washer fluid tank to keep the fluid warm. The link posted is about the closest solution I could find for you...lol

Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 PM

i would be concerned about cracking a windshield if a heated fuid suddenly comes in contact with a frozen windshield. i'm not usre if the Mitsu winsdshield are designed for this. i know Volkswagen and other German cars have this option of washer fluid heated nozzels.

i use Rain-X on my glass all year round. it helps reduce my wiper use and washer fluid consumption. you will be surprised how good they work, snow and water just glides away.

Quick Reply: ?? Heated windscreen washer kits??