Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

?? Heated windscreen washer kits??

Old 12-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Question ?? Heated windscreen washer kits??

How do you North Americans cope with the icy conditions we are now getting on this side of the Pond ?.
I am refering mostly to frozen windscreen ( windshield ) washers? Do you have heated systems or are there any 'after market' kits suitable for fitting to Outlanders? Our washer additives are useless below . -5deg C . How do you cope with freezing conditions over there??
Thanks,
Ron

Last edited by ronwill; 12-08-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: correct typo error
Old 12-08-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ronwill
How do you North Americans cope with the icy conditions we are now getting on this side of the Pond ?.
I am refering mostly to frozen windscreen ( windshield ) washers? Do you have heated systems or are there any 'after market' kits suitable for fitting to Outlanders? Our washer additives are useless below . -5deg C . How do you cope with freezing conditions over there??
Thanks,
Ron
Our washer fluids are good until at least -25C. Most of them are -40C or -45C rated.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vadimus
Our washer fluids are good until at least -25C. Most of them are -40C or -45C rated.

What he said.

They sell two different kinds here. The "summer" (which is what you probably have) and the "winter" type. The summer type has a more soapy additive which helps with getting bugs off the window. The winter type has less of a soapy application in favor of an additive that doesn't freeze until at least -40c.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:20 PM

You guys up there must get good stuff. Our "normal" fluid is only good to -20F and the "winter" fluid is good down to -34F.

One thing I never understand though. It can be at 20F, below freezing, but if I use my washer fluid, it ices over....irritating.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:02 AM
Smile

Just add isopropanol to the washer fluid and you are ok.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by ronwill
How do you cope with freezing conditions over there??
Thanks,
Ron
Migrate South for the winter

Old 12-11-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
You guys up there must get good stuff. Our "normal" fluid is only good to -20F and the "winter" fluid is good down to -34F.

One thing I never understand though. It can be at 20F, below freezing, but if I use my washer fluid, it ices over....irritating.
its pure uncut... I could smuggle some over the border for ya... lol

Old 12-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Cool ??? Heated windscreen washer kits???

Originally Posted by rip14
Migrate South for the winter
Wish I could !, preferably Oahu or somwhere similar !!.

Will have to try my additive neat by next weekend as we are promised a colder spell than the one we have just had......will have to look at a way of insulating the water container and sourcing heated washer jets off a Rolls Royce or similar perhaps.
Roll on summer and a Happy Christmas to all.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Banned

This look like it would work for you:
http://www.amazon.com/AlphaTherm-AT-.../dp/B0034GW1WW
I really haven't seen a heated blanket that would fit around the washer fluid tank since it is tucked tightly inside the engine compartment. No have I seen a heated element that would slip down into the washer fluid tank to keep the fluid warm. The link posted is about the closest solution I could find for you...lol

Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 PM

i would be concerned about cracking a windshield if a heated fuid suddenly comes in contact with a frozen windshield. i'm not usre if the Mitsu winsdshield are designed for this. i know Volkswagen and other German cars have this option of washer fluid heated nozzels.

i use Rain-X on my glass all year round. it helps reduce my wiper use and washer fluid consumption. you will be surprised how good they work, snow and water just glides away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ?? Heated windscreen washer kits??