Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

HELP! With 07 xls radiator leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 07xlsguy
Hello all.
I Just noticed coolant on the garage floor and after investigating , started engine and looks like coolant leak/ dripping rapidly from the radiator at the lower left passenger side corner just above where the radiator mounts /sits on frame bracket. There is what looks like a rubber vibration grommet that mounts radiator to frame. It is leaking just above the insulator grommet and pooling in the bracket .
I just discovered I seem to have this issue. I have been smelling coolant, and I found what looks to be a leak coming from the same area. I don't have the PZEV radiator noted in this thread. Does anyone know if this can be temporarily solved with a radiator stop leak product? And if so, which product is best? Holiday time is terrible for another big car expense/radiator replacement.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:52 PM

IMO, I wouldn't go with a stop leak. are you able to do it yourself?

Nissens radiator is 145, Peak Global Lifetime will be about $25 from Walmart online (one jug of concentrate should work), you'll want to grab some replacement radiator hose clamps. I'd say the whole job would be about $175 all said and done.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
IMO, I wouldn't go with a stop leak. are you able to do it yourself?

Nissens radiator is 145, Peak Global Lifetime will be about $25 from Walmart online (one jug of concentrate should work), you'll want to grab some replacement radiator hose clamps. I'd say the whole job would be about $175 all said and done.
If it were summer, I'd entertain the idea of doing it myself. But it's cold and I don't have a warm garage space either. Here's my newly discovered problem: My Outlander comes with the factory towing package, and the radiator part listed for it is not the part listed everywhere online. The only one I can find online is the one most people seem to have: 1350A050. Well, mine is 1350A490, and I can't find it anywhere but the dealer suppliers for $730-ish. I have no idea what the difference in the radiators could be, and I'm hoping the shop I take it to can modify it. They all use the same hoses, so how different can they be? The diagrams of the radiators look the same as well. Anyone know these two parts' differences? Capacity only? If that's the case, I definitely don't care. Have never towed anything with it.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:41 PM
Default HELP! With 07 xls radiator leak

I found this old thread. Wondering the name of the sensor that is being discussed when replacing the radiator?

Old 10-09-2020, 09:03 AM

They were discussing a sensor tied into the PZEV radiator, which was only installed on California models. The only other sensor I can think of would be the coolant temp sensor, but not sure where that is mounted.

Old 10-09-2020, 09:49 AM
Default HELP! With 07 xls radiator lea

Thanks,
Oh, OK. I am in Texas and have owned mine since new and did not know anything about that. Also mine seeps out the top at the upper hose connection that appears to have 4 bolts that connects upper hose neck to radiator. I found this to be weird that the upper hose connection bolts to rad. I have never seen one like this. I am thinking I can unbolt connection and make gasket and use sealant to reseal. It seems to seep some overnight but not too bad. Just trying to avoid getting new for now.

Old 10-09-2020, 11:45 AM

I was told those necks are prone to cracking by a Mitsu tech. I replaced mine at 11 years old. It's to keep the cap in the system and not part of the formed radiator. Engineering wise, the radiator can fit into many models and you only need a plastic piece to locate the cap wherever under the hood that fits.

Easy to fix.

Old 10-09-2020, 03:18 PM

Easy Fix? By that do you mean to replace radiator or remove neck and reseal?

Old 10-12-2020, 12:18 PM

Replacing the filler neck is easy if that's your only leak. The part was inexpensive, too. Don't bother with a leak stop additive, just get a new filler neck.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by copyboy311
Replacing the filler neck is easy if that's your only leak. The part was inexpensive, too. Don't bother with a leak stop additive, just get a new filler neck.
Thanks. It is not the filler neck. It is the upper hose connection that has 4 bolts.

Quick Reply: HELP! With 07 xls radiator leak