Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Help and advice buying an Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Default Help and advice buying an Outlander

Hi All,
I am new here so bear with me. I have been a long term BMW owner but more recently have become frustrated with low mileage failures (Conti Teves ABS module, EPAS failures) and the fear of other now common issues like swirl flaps and snapping timing chains on their 2.0d diesel engines.

For this reason and the want for a 4x4, due to where we now live, I am currently looking to purchase a second hand Outlander (in UK), around 5 years old so am looking predominantly at the pre - "Jet nose front" model, most likely the 2.0 diesel.

So my two questions are this: -

Where do I find out more about the specs of the models; Equippe Warrior etc.
I would ideally like leather and heated seats so is this offered as standard on one of them?

So is there anything I need to look out for? Common faults etc.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Best regards

James

Old 05-25-2014, 05:21 PM

Can anyone help regarding the 2.0 diesels...????

Old 05-25-2014, 11:06 PM

there are only a few 2.0 diesel guys running around here...

Old 05-26-2014, 02:41 PM

I am sorry James as I can not answer your question. I don't think they have the outlander in diesel here in the states yet. I have done a lot of reading about the outlander for about 6 months before I decided to buy one. I cant remember reading anything bad about the diesel models I did read about though. 2 months ago I decided to pull the trigger and trade my 2012 Honda Accord LX for a 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport and so far it is a great running and riding car. It has the 2.0 gas engine in it and it is an automatic. ( I would have love to have gotten a clutch but if the wife ever had to drive it the clutch would of had to be replaced once she got to where she was going!!!!) As of this morning I have a total of 775 miles on it. I hope you find what you are looking for and when you get it I hope enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!. Dave

Old 06-09-2014, 03:58 AM

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

I will keep researching. Hopefully will have one in the next 6 months or so.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by jamese30
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

I will keep researching. Hopefully will have one in the next 6 months or so.
If you are going to be buying new or used from a Mit. dealer, try to negotiate the cost of scheduled maintenance into the final price you pay for the vehicle, because the scheduled maintenance is going to cost the average owner literally thousands of dollars over the entire warranty period (if all that maintenance is done by the dealership, anyway).

In order to maintain Mitsubishi's bumper-to-bumper and drivetrain warranty throughout the long warranty period, the owner is required to do, or have done, ALL of the maintenance that is detailed in the "Warranty and Maintenance Manual" at the required time or distance intervals. Failure to do that might very well void parts of the warranty.

Some dealerships "throw in" free scheduled oil changes into the vehicle's final selling price. Try to get the dealership to do the same for ALL recommended maintenance during the warranty period. Tell the salesman that you want this included right "up front", BEFORE you start negotiating the final selling price, and tell the salesman that you will be going to other dealers BEFORE accepting a final selling price.

After you have decided from which dealer to buy, make absolutely sure you get from the dealer a document that "nails down" that the dealership will perform at no charge ALL maintenance detailed in the aforementioned manual, including the major, costly ones such as transmission flushes, timing belt changes, valve adjustments, etc. This is one instance when the word of the salesman and a handshake are definitely not good enough to ensure free maintenance in the future.

Going through this process is going to give you a very good idea of what it's going to cost you to maintain that lengthy warranty after the "entry fee" of the vehilcle's cost.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:14 PM

I dont think you will find many dealerships who would do that, if any. There are a few MANUFACTURERS who include limited maintenance, but not many. Because of the varying usage of different people and areas, youre essentially talking insurance not a warranty. After all, the scheduled maintenance is a RECOMMENDATION and can vary on many conditions.

And here in the US, as im sure there are similar laws in the UK, any manufacturer that denies a warranty claim must prove that they are denying it because of a failure to maintain or abuse. The burden is on the manufacturer to prove this, not on the owner to prove they maintained it.

I love my Outlander, but quite honestly if youre looking at diesel wouldn't VW be the next place to look after BMW?

Last edited by ckmecha; 06-09-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:29 AM

The Outlander diesel has a VW diesel engine. In 2.0 guise anyway, as a 2.2 diesel it is a PSA unit.

It is the 2.0 diesel Outlander version I am looking at.

Cheers