Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Help to convert Outlander to 7 Seater

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:42 AM
Default Help to convert Outlander to 7 Seater

I would like to convert my OUTLANDER into 7 Seater! . Any suggestions on where i can find 3rd Row Seats. Ideally, i would like to have 2 Bucket seats in centre (2nd row) and three seater on the third row.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:26 AM

Not sure if you can change it up like that. third row sits between the rear wheel wells. You may be able to fabricate a bench seat, if you are good at such stuff.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:58 PM

i think your biggest problem, as someone mentioned earlier on this forum, is that you won't be able to insure a car modified like that.

otherwise, i can sell you my 3rd row

Old 02-23-2011, 02:08 AM

I have a set of third row, fold up/down seats.
I am in the UK though and they are way heavy..

Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 AM

I really don't think fabricating a third row for a personal vehicle is going to make it hard to insure. There are far more add-ons and other moddifications that people do to their vehicles that not only make the vehicle less safe for the occupants, but for other vehicles around them (lifting a vehicle, NOS, etc).

As long as you aren't using zip-ties to hold it together (welds and bolts)...there shouldn't be an issue.

If I remember right, the 2nd row wide seat also has a wide set of seats. I was thinking you could just cut the seat frame & foam, then tuck the fabric around...but you'd have to anchor the seat down on the right side somehow. Not sure where you are located, but an auto modification shop may be able to accomplish that by welding in anchor points. That last seat though, that'd be the hardest to fit and then look right. Hope you have a fat wallet!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 AM

Just a quick question: gen1 or gen2 Outie? For Gen2 you just pick up 3rd row seat from ie a crashed vehicle and install it. Should be ALMOST bolt-on. At least if you can get all the parts from the scrap.

EDIT: lame typos. It was flu that did 'em, not me...

Old 02-24-2011, 03:34 AM
ndj

Originally Posted by ccernst
I really don't think fabricating a third row for a personal vehicle is going to make it hard to insure. There are far more add-ons and other moddifications that people do to their vehicles that not only make the vehicle less safe for the occupants, but for other vehicles around them (lifting a vehicle, NOS, etc).

As long as you aren't using zip-ties to hold it together (welds and bolts)...there shouldn't be an issue.
As this is an international forum I should point out that this is an absolute no-no in the UK. The number of passengers a vehicle is certified to carry is detailed in it's "V5" registration document and that's what insurers work off. If you have a 5 seat Outlander it will technically always be a 5 seater.

I also suspect a DIY modification would not pass an MOT test.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 AM

There is a special box on the V5 to detail modifactions to the car (talking about the U.K.)
I have previously used this to change the number of seats (both up and down) with no problems whatsoever.

If you took the 3rd row seats out of a scrapper or bought new oem ones they will bolt right into the floor as the holes are in place. They just have plugs in (sometimes).
There will be no problems with mot's (if the V5 is correct) if you have used original parts and/or the mot inspector considers the seats are safe. You will also need to fit the seatbelts though. Again holes are all there, no wires needed, may need to replace or cut up the trim.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 PM
ndj

Then I stand corrected.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by RKOTE
I would like to convert my OUTLANDER into 7 Seater! . Any suggestions on where i can find 3rd Row Seats. Ideally, i would like to have 2 Bucket seats in centre (2nd row) and three seater on the third row.
Nothing is easier, get a new van! Dodge Grand Caravan will do fine

Have you seen Outlander in real life? It barely capable of sqeezing two teens on the 3rd row. 3 seater, LOL

Last edited by Vadimus; 02-24-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Help to convert Outlander to 7 Seater