Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Help finding fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 12:20 PM
Default Help finding fault

Hello there -

I have an 2012 Outlander 2.2 Diesel and all of a sudden it lit up like a christmas tree with ASC, 4x4, EML lights on. The error codes are as follows and can't be cleared.

ECU:
- P0652 - "Sensor Reference Voltage B Circuit Low"

ABS / ASC
- U1417 - "Coding data mismatch"
- U0401 - "Engine (CAN Message)"
- C121C - "Torque request signal denied"

4WD / Transfer Case
- U0401 - "Engine (CAN message)

Does anyone know what "Sensor Reference Voltage B Circuit" refers too? I can't find anything. I've tried unplugging basically all sensors individually seeing if the error changes/ goes but no such luck.

Really struggling with what to do next to get to the bottom of this without throwing money at it replacing one sensor at a time.

Old 09-02-2023, 02:46 PM

Check the car battery first. Disconnect battery for 1 hour, maybe charge it if you have charger. Check all fuses. Then connect battery again.

If does not help, it might be a fault with ETACS, CAN bus or other electronic module. You need some diagnostics from car electrician.

Old 09-02-2023, 02:55 PM

Unfortunately, i'm struggling to find an auto electrician that's willing to take the work on. The majority of them have told me the labour involved will be more than the value of the car, and the one that did come out, charged £144 just to plug his OBD device in and read the codes - then said he couldn't help.

Having spent more time with the multimeter and the Haynes wiring diagrams since posting, I do believe the ECU is at fault. The Accelerator Pedal Sensor plug is meant to get 4v+ according to Haynes, but i'm only getting 2.4v and this is the same on the output of the ECU.

I've tested what I can with the CAN Bus - but unfortunately I don't own an Oscilloscope, but voltage and resistance appears to be fine.

Looks like i'll have to send the ECU away for testing. Yay.

Old 09-03-2023, 03:47 AM

Ok, so you did some diagnostics.
To test CAN you do not need oscilloscope, just a cheap CAN2USB adapter and any free software to see frames on CAN bus. But I guess since you can read errors, then CAN is working fine in your case.

For my 2013 Outlander 2.2 DiD, for a sake of spare part and "some other reason" I bought used ECU (taken from crashed car with low mileage). I programmed injectors IDs and VIN, tried on my car and it worked. The price tag for that ECU was about €80 from eBay. The only thing, is, that programming did not cost anything for me because I have MUT-3 and software.

Old 09-03-2023, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by daem0n
Ok, so you did some diagnostics.
For my 2013 Outlander 2.2 DiD, for a sake of spare part and "some other reason" I bought used ECU (taken from crashed car with low mileage). I programmed injectors IDs and VIN, tried on my car and it worked. The price tag for that ECU was about €80 from eBay. The only thing, is, that programming did not cost anything for me because I have MUT-3 and software.
I do not mean to hijack this thread completely, but maybe the OP will buy a new or used ECU and maybe this will assist.

I'm seriously considering buying a used ECM (and transmissionn control modulre) for our vehicle. Does the under-dash OBD port's invisible other end's cable plug directly into the ECM? The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if the used ECM has to actually be installed into the vehicle in order to program it with VIN, etc., or could it be programmed on a bench outside the vehicle? If it does not have to be installed, that would be a good thing because this programming could be done before the OEM ECM actually fails. When it does fail, then it would just be a matter of replacing the faulty uinit with the pre-programmed unit, turn the ignition switch and you're off to the races.

Thanks.

Old 09-03-2023, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaander

Does the under-dash OBD port's invisible other end's cable plug directly into the ECM?
No it does not.

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if the used ECM has to actually be installed into

the vehicle in order to program it with VIN, etc., or could it be programmed on a bench outside the vehicle?
This will not work

If it does not have to be installed, that would be a good thing because this programming could be done before the OEM ECM actually fails. When it does fail, then it would just be a matter of replacing the faulty uinit with the pre-programmed unit, turn the ignition switch and you're off to the races.

Thanks.
for security reasons the PCM cannot be reprogrammed easily. The dealer level tool is unable to configure a USED PCM to another car

Old 09-03-2023, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by DibbyDibbyDJ
No it does not.

This will not work

for security reasons the PCM cannot be reprogrammed easily. The dealer level tool is unable to configure a USED PCM to another car
Thanks for the information.

There are some businesses that advertise on the internet that say they can re-program used ECMs that are the same part number as our 2010 XLS (taken out of wrecked Outlanders of our vehicle's age, I presume) and they will work properly in our vehicle. Do you think that these businesses can actually do that, when the dealer-level tool can not?

Regardless,the good thing is that as of today Mit. still sells a new ECM for our vehicle. It's expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as a new vehicle.

Thanks again.

Old 09-04-2023, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Outlaander

There are some businesses that advertise on the internet that say they can re-program used ECMs that are the same part number as our 2010 XLS (taken out of wrecked Outlanders of our vehicle's age, I presume) and they will work properly in our vehicle. Do you think that these businesses can actually do that, when the dealer-level tool can not?

Regardless,the good thing is that as of today Mit. still sells a new ECM for our vehicle. It's expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as a new vehicle.

Thanks again.
It (reprogramming) greatly depends on engine ECU type, what microchip sits inside etc. Some ECUs can be programmed while being in the car, others must be on the bench and often "opened" with jtag connectors connected directly to the CPU/rom. It depends also what specific parameter/function one want to reprogram.
For me, reprogramming the injectors IDs and primary VIN worked with MUT-3. However, there is an "original VIN" parameter which cannot be reprogrammed with MUT-3 over OBD2 and to reprogram this one you need special tools and likely to do it on the bench. There is also "odometer value" calculated by ECU and this one also cannot be changed with MUT-3. I think that such implementation is done as countermeasure against stolen ECUs so one can trace their origin. Although well equipped workshops can change practically anything

Now, if one orders a new ECU from a mitsu authorized dealer, then where will it be reprogrammed? At the workshop or at the factory? That's something I am not sure about.

Old 09-04-2023, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by daem0n
It (reprogramming) greatly depends on engine ECU type, what microchip sits inside etc. Some ECUs can be programmed while being in the car, others must be on the bench and often "opened" with jtag connectors connected directly to the CPU/rom. It depends also what specific parameter/function one want to reprogram.
For me, reprogramming the injectors IDs and primary VIN worked with MUT-3. However, there is an "original VIN" parameter which cannot be reprogrammed with MUT-3 over OBD2 and to reprogram this one you need special tools and likely to do it on the bench. There is also "odometer value" calculated by ECU and this one also cannot be changed with MUT-3. I think that such implementation is done as countermeasure against stolen ECUs so one can trace their origin. Although well equipped workshops can change practically anything

Now, if one orders a new ECU from a mitsu authorized dealer, then where will it be reprogrammed? At the workshop or at the factory? That's something I am not sure about.

While we're on this subject, is there any aftermarket ECM solution for Outlander V6s, or when the ECM eventually fails and there is no replacement, the vehicle becomes a very heavy paper-weight?

Old 09-05-2023, 04:12 PM

FWIW, I contacted a business in the US called Flagship One Inc. -- https://www.fs1inc.com/ -- to verify if a used ECM could be reprogrammed to work in our vehicle and, in short, they supposedly can do it. Their price is $550 USD which equals $750 CAD, guaranteed to work. However, that price does not include the used ECM, which is available for around $200 CAD, including shipping. So about $950 CAD, all in, which ain't cheap.

The least expensive new ECM I've found is $825 USD or $1125 CAD, but it still has to be programmed by someone, and who knows what the price will be for doing that.

So a new ECM is not that much more expensive than the used, reprogrammed one and, presumably, a new ECM is almost certainly going to last as long as the one that is in our vehicle -- 14 years, so far (our 2010 bought by original owner in Oct. 2009). Who knows how long a used unit will last. Therefore, I'm leaning more toward buying a new unit with the peace of mind that doing that will bring. (And again, that's a lot less expensive than buying a new vehicle.)