Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Outlander (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/)
-   -   HID Conversion DONE! (Pics and info) (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-outlander-10/hid-conversion-done-pics-info-30486/)

Melvin8078 12-19-2008 12:20 AM

RE: HID Conversion DONE! (Pics and info)

Well.... Tried to install my HIDS tonight but no go. I got all the parts needed except did not do the capacitor yet. I hooked up the wire harness and tried it with 1 bulb, it lit up no flickering. Thought to myself maybe I won't be needing the capacitor. Hooked up the other bulb and driver side bulb lit up and passenger side flickered. Turned off switch and turned it on again and no lights. I guess I will be needing the capacitor!!!! Funny thing now is my horn does not work! I might have blown a fuse. Can anyone tell me where the fuse for the horn is? Is it in the fuse box in the engine or inside behind the compartment? The capacitor that I picked up is a 35v 2200uf. Will this do? They didn't have anything else, pos 86 neg 85 right?

jsrd 12-19-2008 01:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 7812

ryandlor 12-19-2008 01:21 PM

can we stick this thread ?

dekodan 12-19-2008 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Melvin8078

Where else can you buy the capacitors? I am in Edmonton, Canada. I went to Circuit city today and they had nothing.
Any electronics parts store.

dekodan 12-19-2008 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Melvin8078

Well.... Tried to install my HIDS tonight but no go. I got all the parts needed except did not do the capacitor yet. I hooked up the wire harness and tried it with 1 bulb, it lit up no flickering. Thought to myself maybe I won't be needing the capacitor. Hooked up the other bulb and driver side bulb lit up and passenger side flickered. Turned off switch and turned it on again and no lights. I guess I will be needing the capacitor!!!! Funny thing now is my horn does not work! I might have blown a fuse. Can anyone tell me where the fuse for the horn is? Is it in the fuse box in the engine or inside behind the compartment? The capacitor that I picked up is a 35v 2200uf. Will this do? They didn't have anything else, pos 86 neg 85 right?

Sounds like you fried something.

To be clear about the capacitor, this is for the DRL signal to be smoothed to trigger the relay that supplies a full 12V+ to your ballasts.

You can test your HIDs entirely without the relay harness or capacitor by simply plugging a ballast in line with your lighting harness and then the HID lamps themselves.

Melvin8078 12-19-2008 11:49 PM

Success!!! Thanks everyone for the help! I might need to adjust my headlights, how do you go about doing that? I noticed that my passenger side was higher. Didn't know how bright these get!! I literally lit up my neighbourhood!!!

tito88 01-05-2009 11:25 PM

HI iam new to the fourm, but ive had done the HID conversation to my fathers outlander back in the summer when he first got it, back in i believe july or august. lol like 3days after we got the car i installed them.

i purchased a complete plug and play kit. with no relay harness where I use both passenger and driver side bulb terminal one for each ballast.

Yes i had the flicker problem but how i went round this was, in the morning when no light was needed i would just let the drl activate the hid-make it flicker-and then they shut up. i guess its kind of a safty thing the ballast due -if they don;t ignite they remain off until reset.

So when i knew i need the head lights on i would turn car on, turn headlights on and then put down the hand brake. because what activates the drl is the hand brake as you might already know so turning on ur headlights beofre putting down ur handbreak will prevennt the flicker.

started becoming a hasle becasue if u where in a rush and u forgot to turn the headlights before putting down the hand brake. you had to turn off the car and on again and turn on the headlights before the handbrake.

so i purchased what is supposed to be an antiflicker device sold by an hid seller here in Toronto, Ontario- but what i believe it to be is just a capacitor, becasue what it does it just runs your hid all the time no matter if its the drl or from your headlight switch.

tito88 01-05-2009 11:46 PM

The kit i purchased is this one 9006 6000K

http://cgi.ebay.ca/HID-Conversion-Ki...742.m153.l1262

costed alot 60-65 dollars back when the canadian dollar was worth more. They are supposed to be a German product but its shipped from China so basically made in China lol.

And the anti flicker device

http://xtremeproducts.ca/xtreme/Home.html

40 dollars.

But what i would really like to know and best solution "in my opinion" is an easy way to get rid of the DRL all together or relocate them. I know many cars use there high beams for DRL. and some even their turn signals.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19505/01632BFE01624A7BAD8E7EB80CA4B18E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19505/89A9B59B6E534DBF82B63101EA816E94.jpg[/IMG]

tdford 01-06-2009 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: tito88

But what i would really like to know and best solution "in my opinion" is an easy way to get rid of the DRL all together or relocate them. I know many cars use there high beams for DRL. and some even their turn signals.

Or like us OEM HID owners, theDRL is in the fogs. But now we have to transform our fogs from a DRL only system to a fog/DRL. Which takes a new switch and relay. So there should be a way for you to do something similar on making your fogs a fog/DRL where the fogs are just on all the time.

tito88 01-07-2009 01:18 PM

here are pictures of my set up. it is supposed to be 6000K but i feel like it looks more like 8000K, i like the blue look but this is a lil to much, will possibly change the bulb in the future since parts are interchangable.

As noted before with my anti-flicker device my hid's are on all the time, but with out the extra relay wire harness.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19505/645AA89F91EE4359870F1117EF9E0075.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19505/6A5FFF25B062477F903476A382519A69.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19505/21C63F4816574BBFBCC678AF574CD382.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/19505/0B9A610381384A809B79AF9CFE7D372E.jpg[/IMG]

tdford 01-07-2009 02:55 PM

tito88, looks good. They definitley look like 8000k though, maybe even 10,000k. Aftermarket bulbs are hard to trust unless they are name brand like PIAA, Phillips etc. I put some cheap JPN 6000k in mine, and they werent as blue as yours and I thought they looked like 8000k. I ended up going back to the stock 4,300k bulb until I can find a good quality 5000k one.

rdenis 01-09-2009 02:38 AM

Stickied now - sorry bout that been out for awhile but am working on some new mods since I got my new silly scope for Christmas to feck around with:

- Rain sensing wipers
- HID's with auto level mech and ECU controlled DRL's output in the foggers.
- intelligent lighting system for corners

Oh and a digital gear indicator for my two wheel beast.

Now that the snow is clearing I can finally get my garage back from the wife so she can damn well park in the driveway!! LOL:)

jsrd 01-09-2009 02:54 AM

rdenis, is good to have news yours [sm=smiley32.gif], and will be welcomes those modifications, very interesting about rain sensing; question, will be OEM or aftermarket update?

rcpax 01-09-2009 04:14 AM

ORIGINAL: rdenis

Stickied now - sorry bout that been out for awhile but am working on some new mods since I got my new silly scope for Christmas to feck around with:

- Rain sensing wipers
- HID's with auto level mech and ECU controlled DRL's output in the foggers.
- intelligent lighting system for corners

Oh and a digital gear indicator for my two wheel beast.

Now that the snow is clearing I can finally get my garage back from the wife so she can damn well park in the driveway!! LOL:)
Oh this is good. :D Somebody's got hold of an 09 service manual I'm thinking.

1. I'm almost ready to do my Auto lights with the fog light mod but if rain sensing wipers in the works I'm gonna hold off for a while
2. I have the auto-level mech with my HIDs but that's a good mod. Might require a couple of exotic parts though if done the OEM way. I am brewing a similar DRL/fog mod as well. After a very bad fog 2 weeks ago, I am decided to get my Outlander some nice fogs. But since I want to keep the DRL function, it will get moved to the park lights. Hopefully the fog enable etacs programming doesn't disable the DRL function.
3. I have been digging through to figure the digital gear signal. Will the gear readout work even in "D" mode? If so, then that mod tops them all. I am imagining at a possible gear digit HUD in my Outlander's windshield right now. WRC style.

Keep us updated. And thank you for the Camera mod. That started it all.

tareks 02-05-2009 08:36 AM

I'm thinking of gettingthis done. Can anyone recommend some decent quality HIDs which aren't necessarily top of the line? I don't want to spend $500+ on this, I'm thinking more in the $200 range... (canadian)

tareks 02-05-2009 06:23 PM

Would this kit work with the 08 Outlander XLS: http://cgi.ebay.ca/XENON-HID-Kit-D2S...742.m153.l1262

I'm thinking of getting that and getting these bulbs to put in it: http://cgi.ebay.ca/XENON-HID-Kit-D2S...742.m153.l1262

Can anyone comment on the quality of these? Would they even work together? Is this the right thing to get for the car? I'm pretty dumb when it comes to HIDs, etc so any help in the right direction is appreciated.

Thanks

8497reginald 02-10-2009 09:58 AM

I have a 2006 Outlander. So i do need the relays in order for it to work. Where do i get relays from. I was gonna take the white connector off and hook it up that way.

8497reginald 02-10-2009 10:22 AM

HID Conversion (Q&A)

I have a 2006 Outlander. Where do i get relays for our cars from. The seller didn't give me any when i bought my HID kit. :eek:

CMiron 02-18-2009 06:18 AM

I also have the problem of DRL. I have to turn on the lights before i remove the hand brake

lalamax 04-03-2009 12:17 AM

i am new to the board:)
just picked up last week, and installed HID on day one hahaha
I didnt go thru all these trouble, I just got a "Cambus" ballast, DRL problem solved...

cbcctv 06-01-2009 11:03 PM

Dan I need your help!!!

I was using 25V 3300UF capacitor but instead of soldering it to the switch ,I soldered it to the organge socket below.I tested it and worked good when I put the key on ignition,which DRL normally on. However,when I turn the headlights on ,the capacitor blowed up. my question is Do I need to solder the capacitor to the switch only ???

Mine s 06 outlander and now I have to keep my headlights on all the time otherwise it won't light up.I don't know whats wrong with it.

Mitsu28 06-07-2009 01:36 AM

Hello, I'm new here and I read almost all the treads about HID conversion... I would like to know if there's any way to 'send'' the 9 Volts(signal for DRL) at the High Beams? Just because I don't want the HID running all the time as soon as I release the hand brake...I' have an Outlander and I'm from Canada! Thanks

VancouverMitsu 07-13-2009 03:13 AM

in line HID capacitors

can you use in line HID capacitors instead of the relay and capacitor?

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...ROD&ProdID=232

Emil 09-19-2009 09:36 PM

The first post mentions problems with the Canadian DRL's. Will I face the same issues with my "Non-Canadian" Outlander? I am looking to purchase this kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT I also want to purchase a kit for the fog lights. Any of you have any idea if the fog light kit will have enough length to reach the battery?

ryandlor 10-14-2009 08:23 AM

Sorry to beat a dead horse...

So now My Wife really wants the HID Conversion after I did it on my 2009 Mazda CX-7. It was an easy Job because the CX-7 Has Projector Housings and the DRL has a separate halogen light than the actual low beams.

So 2 Questions for my Canadian HID Outlander COnversion...

Should I opt for Projector housings? (Purchase the complete housing from an US model that came OEM HID)

or

Just go with a Kit and use existing housings with a capacitor... I really can't see it looking proper. Almost all OEM HID's I see come in projector housings....am I wrong?

Mitsu28 10-15-2009 12:08 PM

Eh Emil, the wiring is already installed from the battery to the bumper. You need to remove the bumper though to pluged the wiring. I did it, I have an Outlander LS 2008.

moab361 10-18-2009 03:26 PM

I've got an extra set of HIDs, with capacitor to solve DRL problem. They're 5000k, from a reputable company.

Tested and working great, say $65 shipped? PM me.

moab361 12-07-2009 01:37 AM

Yup, still got them if anyone's interested.

ontariotibv6 12-12-2009 09:44 AM

Hi guys, maybe someone could help me with my HID's? Its an 09 SE.
I have the kit hooked up along with the in-line capacitor(s) i asked for. The problem is that the lights still flicker unless the hand brake is on first. But after the car runs for half a minute or so, I can turn off the lights and the hids stay on with no flicker. The problem is that I know I will forget and turn on the car and ruin something because they are flickering.
Im fine if the HIDs are on all the time whether the rest of the lights are on or not. I would like the option of not having all the lighting on during the day.
My understanding is that there would be no flickering no matter what. Is this how the capacitors are supposed to work?

xOutlanderFiendx 02-10-2010 07:13 AM

Hey guys, i have a 2009 outlader SE, i want to install some HID's but i hear if they are too bright you can get pulled over from the cops. In NYC does anyone know what bulb would be good enough without having to worry ?

ontariotibv6 02-10-2010 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by xOutlanderFiendx (Post 255919)
Hey guys, i have a 2009 outlader SE, i want to install some HID's but i hear if they are too bright you can get pulled over from the cops. In NYC does anyone know what bulb would be good enough without having to worry ?

Just dont go above 4300-5000K, anything higher will just look like blue glare and attract attention. Also get a 35W kit and not 55W. 35W looks much more oem. Search 5000K HID and you will find my post with pics. Good luck.

euroarek 04-17-2010 09:36 AM

HID 55watt

I just got my 55 watt Hid kit for my Outlander 2007 xls...are the relay harness are same for 55watt and 35watt ?? Do I need biger capacitor ..pls help

I wanna buy this relay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/9005-9006-HID-Rel...ht_2398wt_1165

ryandlor 04-17-2010 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by euroarek (Post 258317)
I just got my 55 watt Hid kit for my Outlander 2007 xls...are the relay harness are same for 55watt and 35watt ?? Do I need biger capacitor ..pls help

I wanna buy this relay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/9005-9006-HID-Rel...ht_2398wt_1165

Those will work, basically all you need is to draw more wattage from the battery.

if you went 35, you wouldn't need to connect to the battery as your headlights already use 35W.

Since you upgraded to 55, you will need to draw a bit of extra power, therefore thats where the relay attaches to your battery bringing in the extra boost more or less.

Any pics once ompleted would be nice...

Outlander Pilot 04-29-2010 04:16 PM

2010 Outlander

Will I have the same problem with a 2010 Outlander SE?

Brand spankin' new! Picked it up Sunday 4/25/2010

Thanks...

James, NY

ryandlor 04-29-2010 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Outlander Pilot (Post 258668)
Will I have the same problem with a 2010 Outlander SE?

Brand spankin' new! Picked it up Sunday 4/25/2010

Thanks...

James, NY

what problem..theres a few

Outlander Pilot 04-29-2010 11:32 PM

Based on what I read so far, installing an HID Kit on Outlander equipped with DRL's has its issues but theres a few ways around them. I guess what I want to find out is, how can I install the kit and only turn them on when I want too.

ryandlor 04-30-2010 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Outlander Pilot (Post 258678)
Based on what I read so far, installing an HID Kit on Outlander equipped with DRL's has its issues but theres a few ways around them. I guess what I want to find out is, how can I install the kit and only turn them on when I want too.

I wish I knew the answer to that....

Outlander Pilot 05-01-2010 04:47 AM

enough sitting... more doing

I will try to find out how to 1) disable the DRL so you can install an HID kit w/o any relays, and/or 2)redirect the DRL from the lows to the highs...

Any success, or failure will sure let everyone know.

peace out! see you when i see you...

James NY
2010 Outie

ivanz 05-01-2010 02:51 PM

What happens when you remove the DRL relay in the engine bay fuse box? Wouldn't that solve it?

Mitsu28 05-02-2010 12:40 PM

Thanks James, I'm still trying to find out something about it too! I'm leaving in Canada, but the same relay works for DRL and normal low beams...Anyway, waiting for some news!!!