Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

How to install iPod cable (with pics)

Old 04-12-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by bazzert
I bought the IP500 kenwood unit and tried to fit it in my mates 08 Outlander UK Spec when we removed the headunit the connector was not the same as on the IP500 the one on the headunit was smaller like SVHS size the one on the cable was bigger, I have recently bought a UK diamond spec outlander 09 model, and the same problem exists. Mine has got the rear Video AV sockets and even this doesnt work.

So i can confirm that this thread as far as the UK spec MMCS units are confirmed is not workable.

I eagerly await a solution i have seen a video of someone with the ipod working in an evo on what looks like the same headunit i woudl love this solution.

http://www.vimeo.com/5449916
Well, the question is, how did the guy who started this thread get it to work? Obviously, he took the photos and found a workable solution. He said he ordered the factory cable, so a couple of things are possible: The factory cable is indeed different from the Kenwood part mentioned so often here and has the right head-unit connection; or the specs on his MMCS are different. He is from Australia. I'm sending him a direct email to see if we can get a bit more info from him.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by bazzert
I bought the IP500 kenwood unit and tried to fit it in my mates 08 Outlander UK Spec when we removed the headunit the connector was not the same as on the IP500 the one on the headunit was smaller like SVHS size the one on the cable was bigger, I have recently bought a UK diamond spec outlander 09 model, and the same problem exists. Mine has got the rear Video AV sockets and even this doesnt work.

So i can confirm that this thread as far as the UK spec MMCS units are confirmed is not workable.

I eagerly await a solution i have seen a video of someone with the ipod working in an evo on what looks like the same headunit i woudl love this solution.

http://www.vimeo.com/5449916
It's not even the same MMCS model as the ones in the UK market, so I strongly doubt his solution would work for you.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by sbessel
well crap... I hope this is not true, as I just ordered the Kenwood branded unit from Amazon, along with the charging adapter. I guess I will post the results after it arrives...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product
I can confirm this does *not* work on a '07 unit.

...crap...

Old 04-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Default Not a solution for U.S. models

It's my unverified conclusion that the iPod cable mentioned in this thread will not work with U.S. and possibly all North American models, at least not the 2007/2008 MMCS.

I asked at the dealer today about the part number MZ360221EX, listed as the part used by the person who started this thread. He is from Australia.

The dealer doesn't even list that part. They do have MZ360224EX, but it's not like the ones discussed here. It plugs into the iPod headphone jack and does not plug directly into the MMCS. You have to do some wiring swaps to patch it into the MMCS (instructions included). It costs $70, and of course that doesn't get you the in-dash text display and iPod recharging.

Here's hoping this elusive cable becomes available to the rest of us soon.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:03 AM

kma_johan, champion post, just install the Ipod cable, less 15mins with your instructions. Found out that it doesn't charge 4th gen Ipods and above however there's an adapter which plugs into the cable (Scosche passPort) which does the trick.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:14 PM

Like a lot of other posts in various threads, it is always impotant to make sure your cars unit is the same as mentioned in the thread.

Before I bought my Outie, I found a lot of "how to" theads on doing stuff, but later found out that the units mentioned (or not explicitly mentioned) was not the same as what we have in Australia.
A good example is the built-in HDD where you can load music. We don't have that here. So for me to take one of those threads and try to do will obviously fail.
I didn't whine about it or wrote back onto those threads that the instructions were useless and didn't work.

For me to write this thread, I took photos while I did it and it work for me as well as other people with the same model (2007 Australian by the way if it was not clear).

For the guys who found this useful, thanks for the positive replies, but for the others who didn't do their homework properly before spending money and then finding out their unit is different, sorry. Next time make sure.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:42 AM

Johan,

Can you tell us where on the back of your MMCs you plugged in the cable? I've been trying to piece together what's going to be on the back of my MMCS in the UK.

I found this image - is your MMCS the one on the right?

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9..._instr_014.jpg

Can you share with us the wiring diagram that came with the cable please - if you've still got it?