Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

How to unlock MMCS

Old 05-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Default RE: How to unlock MMCS

Thanks Otaku! Your efforts are _greatly_ appreciated.

Regarding from your website:

I have had a preliminary shuftie : I might try knocking together a new firmware image if I can find someone (brave|stupid|willing) enough to install it ..
Count me in as (brave && stupid && willing)

Old 05-04-2008, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: brian360

Thanks Otaku! Your efforts are _greatly_ appreciated.

Regarding from your website:

I have had a preliminary shuftie : I might try knocking together a new firmware image if I can find someone (brave|stupid|willing) enough to install it ..
Count me in as (brave && stupid && willing)

Heh..
Will do..
If I can knock together a Platform Builder BSP, I'll shove it up on the site as a starting point..

Old 05-04-2008, 02:00 PM

Oh, also, FYI..
The unlock keys are stored in ata_hdd.dll
The one from the firmware image I unpacked appears to have 2

B2 BA B3 BC B0 DF AC BE B1 BB BE DF B1 AD D2 CD C9 CE AA B2 DF B1 9E 89 96 DF AA 8C 9A 8D DF DF
B2 BA B3 BC B0 DF AC BE B1 BB BE DF B1 AD D2 CD C9 CE AA B2 DF B1 9E 89 96 DF B2 9E 8C 8B 9A 8D

One is a User key, the other is a Master key.

atb
O.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:20 AM

For the 261EM version (Outlander 07) I can also test an image. I don't think there is something to screw as long as I use another disk. So, count on me

Old 05-05-2008, 02:20 AM

For the 261EM version (Outlander 07) I can also test an image. I don't think there is something to screw as long as I use another disk. So, count on me

Old 05-05-2008, 06:44 AM

ORIGINAL: rcostin

Heh..
I _believe_ it should be ok... I'll see if there is a fairly low level way of backing up an existing working system before we try screwing around with it ..
atb.
O.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Otaku

Heh..
I _believe_ it should be ok... I'll see if there is a fairly low level way of backing up an existing working system before we try screwing around with it ..
atb.
O.
Well I took the plunge and started screwing around with it

Here's my results.

I downloaded the modified image you created for the dvd-in-motion hack and pulled the hard drive from the MMCS and updated the loading.kwi file with yours and put the drive back in.

When I turned the ignition key on, the MMCS booted as usual. Turns out you have to disconnect power from the MMCS for a few minutes to get it to do a "Cold" boot. I assume a cold boot is the only time the bootloader code is invoked.

Anyway, the bootloader came up with the message "Program version-up in progress." with a progress bar that filled up within about a second. Once the progress bar filled up, the screen went blank and nothing would happen. Sigh Each time I turned the ignition key off and on, it'd just do the same thing.

Since I figured this modified firmware wasn't going to work, I decided to do some experimenting with the bootloader.
I removed the hard drive from the unit and turned the key back on. I got a message "Insert a program disk."

I already had a CD burned with the mitsubishi's original "loading.kwi" file on it, so I stuck it in the drive and got a message "Now checking the disk." After a few moments, it came back with this message "Program writing error. Turn the engine key off to retry." Oh well.

After that, I put the original loading.kwi back onto the hard drive, it did the 'program update' just as it had been before, then immediately after got a message "Checking screen data.", then shortly after a message "Screen data check has been completed. Restarting"

And all was back to normal.

Sounds to me like we are _extremely_ close to being able to modify the OS on this thing! Stay tuned!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:38 AM

I already ghosted the hdd. That was the very first operation after I unlocked it. And then I used another cloning tool just to be sure (or paranoic).
So I can try loading the new OS ...

Costin

Old 05-08-2008, 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: rcostin

I already ghosted the hdd. That was the very first operation after I unlocked it. And then I used another cloning tool just to be sure (or paranoic).
So I can try loading the new OS ...

Costin
Hrmm..
ICBW, but the bootloader refers to a disk-on-chip device.. Can you confirm that the OS is loaded from the hard-drive as opposed to that ? If so, that makes things easier ..
If anyone has hi-res pictures of the circuit boards in the nav unit, I'd appreciate copies.
atb.
O.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:27 PM

What kind of disk-on-chip device? Like flash memory? Or maybe just RAM? I could only get the bootloader to look for a new OS by cold-booting the system. It appears that during a cold boot, it'll look for the OS wherever it can find it (CDROM drive, hard drive), or give an error message "Insert program disk" if it can't find it.

I suppose if the OS is stored in RAM, losing power would wipe the contents so it has to load it again from disk. Hopefully myself or someone else will take some pics of the circuit boards so we can get more info.

In the mean time, I'm willing to keep experimenting with different loading.kwi files until we figure out how to get it to take!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to unlock MMCS