Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

I know why the A/C compressor turns on every 10 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Default I know why the A/C compressor turns on every 10 seconds

After reading several post on here about why the A/C seems to turn on and off every 5 to 10 seconds, I decided to do a little test.
After warming up both my Ford f-150, (03) and the outie to full operating temperature (outside tempurature 81 degrees F)
With the inside of the both vehicles pushing 86 (for the ford) and 84 (for the outie), I turned on the A/C
To my surprise, both vehicles cooled off fairly quickly, but the A/C in the outie started the whole on off, on off, thing ever couple of seconds...
After 10 minutes of sitting, and idleing, the Ford was regestering a nice cool 70 degrees inside, and the outie was cooler still at 67.
After 15 minutes, the outie still going on, and off, and on and off, the Ford registered 76 degrees, and the air coming out the vents was no-longer cool, it felt like just normal air being vented to the cabin.
The outie on the other hand had dropped down to 62 degrees inside, and was still blowing SUPER cold.

Then it hit me. The compressor on the outie keeps clicking on and off to keep the refridgeratnt cold, so you stay cold even idleing sitting still in the sun. Which most other cars just give up on, since they rely on moving air to cool off the condesor core. The outie on the other hand, kicks its compressor, and fans on and off, in every effort to cool off the interior.

I have never had a problem with my F-150 cooling off properly, it usually runs you out of the damn thing cause it blows so cold, but when you stop driving, it stops cooling. The outie never stops, never faulters, and never gives up. It just keeps on cooling, getting colder and colder.

way to go mitsu

Old 03-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Default RE: I know why the A/C compressor turns on every 10 seconds

My 70 chevelle gets down to 58 degrees at 180 degree idel in park .

But yea mitsubishi has some new technology into the AC unit that I came across. It is suppose to take less power to use and is cleaner for the enviroment. Now I think of it my dealer was telling me about it. He might of been trying to "wow" me but he also might be right. By how you described your experience he sounds to be right on.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:30 PM

Exactly, the older cars use the older R-12 refridgerant, and it just works so much better. But it is harder on the atmosphere. When they switched over to R-134, it didn't cool as well, and wouldnt work at all if the condesor got hot. I guess mitsu has come up with a way to keep the refridgerant cool, and not over tax the rest of the system.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:02 PM

wow, interesting find.

problem is i still have some wierd smell comming out from my a/c that the dealer can never seem to find

theres a thread i made some place a while back about it.

I dont know what to do (had the cabin filters changed twice) so now when ever I want to use the A/C i spray a little air freshener in the vent shaft. its usually good for one trip.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:50 PM

burn it to the ground, call mitsu, and say their was a fuel leak in the ac system... you lit up to smoke a cigerette, and bam, went up in a fireball... lol
you'd get a new car!

Old 03-28-2007, 06:41 PM

You have a brand new car that when you want to use your AC you have to spray freshner in the vents to cover up an odor? Yea, F-That. I would bitch and complain and cause the biggest scene or get a hold of someone higher in the chain of people.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:50 PM

the outlander (and all mitsus) cycle the clutch based upon the evaporator temperature.
it tries to maintain it at about 34 degrees.

also, todays R-134a systems are FAR, FAR more efficient than the older R-12 systems. Its true that R-12 was a bit more efficient, but the latest updates to AC systems (variable displacement scroll compressors, more efficient condensors/evaporators, etc) make todays systems a lot, lot more efficient.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:00 PM

yeah, they are getting better, and its JMO, the old R12 worked better... it was harder on the atmosphere, but it sure was colder...
Ya know, then again, I cant think of one time I ever saw condesation on the vents in an older car...
huh... maybe the new ones are better. idunno