Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Improving 2.4L performance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Default Improving 2.4L performance?

I'm considering purchase of '08-approximately '10 Outlander 2.4L I-4 cylinder (CVT, no V6).

Negative "2.4" search results in this forum and the Tech forum.

What if any are cost-effective performance upgrades for the above described drive train? Wishing to improve power and drive-ability (less droning) without sacrificing fuel economy in normal driving (I'm clear that the harder one accelerates the worse is fuel consumption).

I will not increase exhaust noise level, even slightly. I will consider increased intake noise only for true performance gain (I know of methods to quiet intake noise).

Tx!

Jimbo, No. Utah

Last edited by ro7939; 06-04-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 PM

Old 06-06-2013, 09:13 AM

I much appreciate your suggestion!

Estimated parts cost? Hours in labor for installation? Skill level and special tools required for installation?

Link would be nice? Is turbo'd 2.4 Outlander your daily driver?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 AM

turbo with a CVT trans? why it would eat up all your TQ... we do turbo fabrication in my shop, and personally i would not do it. most CVT trans will not handle the extra boost made from a turbo, you would destroy the trans. Then again it depends on how much power you make as well, CVT in our cars i would say would handle about 250/300HP, and it would take a monster turbo to pull that kind of power out of this little platform.

I think on mine i am going to fab up a CAI, and port and polish the throttle body to see what that does, i just want a bit more response out of the car not so much more power, little more "get up and go"

Last edited by JRK5892; 06-06-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM

Call me pessimistic, but I think you are wasting your time throwing parts at the idea of improving power, but keeping fuel economy. Adding a turbo costs money. Then you have to tune it since you are increasing compression...the computer has to know about that...that costs money. Since you increase compression, you now get to run premium fuel instead of regular.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:15 PM

oh, if you figuire this out, i want to run my 2.6 at 30 km per litre, and i want to take out the muffler to reduce weight so it has to be quieter. And i want 400 rwhp.
(troll post, sorry. But moar HPs for less fuel is oxymoronic. Also, if you want a faster car, buy one. Trying to add power to an engine is more expensive than a bigger engine.
Remember, theres no replacement for displacement.
That said, port n polish, forced intake, balanced stroker crank, domed pistons, 3angle valve grind, advanced cam timing... Get the picture?)

Old 06-07-2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by JRK5892
...I think on mine i am going to fab up a CAI, and port and polish the throttle body to see what that does, i just want a bit more response out of the car not so much more power, little more "get up and go"
The OEM spec is marginal. A small improvement will go a long way. I want the same as you describe, a little more "liveliness" and "response," nothing drastic. In most daily driver vehicles, do the above-described mods generally benefit with ECU mods? Or rather, does the stock ECU automatically compensate for such mods?

I'd be grateful if you'd post results/images here in this thread.

Will you fab your own CAI because:
There is no known commercial CAI?
You expect your custom CAI to cost less and/or perform better than a commercial product?

How do members rate difficulty in R&R the throttle body? My first and only experience polishing such item was four alloy intake manifolds on a late 70s Suzuki GS1000cc DOHC air-cooled I-4 motorcycle (a superb mod with +2mm larger carburetors and jetting). What is involved with mod of 2.4 throttle body? Remove gross irregularities with Dremel tool, then hand smooth with emery cloth, then final polish with Simichrome?

For vehicle of this value, mods as costly as a turbo fail the "cost effective" qualification in the OP.

Last edited by ro7939; 06-07-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 AM

we do a ton of porting and polishing, i do not consider this to be a do at home kind of mod. as far as the CAI, it will cost me WAY less than it would to puchase one, as we can fab it up in the shop and i will just have materials cost into it. as far as what is involved in doing a outlander TB... NO idea, have never pulled one or ported and polished one. But we have done about every kind of TB out there so i am nto to worried about it.

here are some that we have done in the past

harley

Last edited by JRK5892; 06-10-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:09 AM

A friend of mine is professional machinist. He built with his own hands a pro level AMA race bike that finished the year 2nd behind Ben Bostrum (look up this name if you don't recognize it). This same machinist's own street bike with 14:1 CR did not pre-ignite even running on Pemex. If that has no meaning to you, ask a top level high end shop that makes race winning heads to comment.

I presume he could at least clean up and polish the OEM TB to not make it worse.

The sum total value I gather seeing nice clear images of TBs with shiny smooth internals is nothing. Even people who know nothing about such items like me know that modding such items can minimize OEM performance as well as improve it.

IOW, the dyno talks, the rest (including shiny images) is talk, AKA hot air, one of the rare items they don't tax, so is easy to come by.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:25 PM

in your post you say nothing about your machist buddy, you simply ask how i would rate this job for someone that has no experiance... we are a professional performance shop, have dyno and bench flow tests to show our performance products/work, we also do powder coating so yes we can have the looks and the performance... also if you compare the Shiney bits as you put it, to stock TB you will see how much material has been removed for flow... i will leave you with it, if you have a buddy that builds race motors why even come on here asking questions i would just go right to him... i am not trying to build a race motor here it is a 2.4L, just trying to help it breath better to get a bit more throttle response and a more full feeling pedal. Best of luck!

i know when Ben last won was in 2008 when he was with Graves riding yamaha... so i am guessing that your buddy was running a factory bike and had some help... exp if he was in the 600 class that we all know is very competitive