Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Input from XLS-Nav owners w/Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:29 PM
Default Input from XLS-Nav owners w/Winter Tires

Hi,

I need input from XLS with Nav owners with winter tires. I have a 2008 that I bought on Monday. I need to put winter tires on but the dilemma is the TPMS (Tire pressure monitor sensors).

The plan was to put 16" alloys that I already had with Snow and Ice tires. Without the TPMS sensors in place, I know there will be warnings at each startup and a light that remains on in the dash at all times.

According to one dealership, NAV owners have an additional problem with a message that will show up on that screen preventing use of the NAV/Audio/Other functions through the MMMC. This sounds wrong to me, but perhaps it is true.

According to Mitsubishi Canada, there are no issues with the NAV but the warning in the info centre of the guage cluster can be cleared after startup. However, they said that access to the cycle-through menus such as fuel consumption, trip A, trip B, Engine temp, etc are no longer cyclable. This also sounds wrong.

I need to know the what really happens.

What are your experiences with the messages?
Did anyone opt to buy the sensors for their winter set?
Did anyone opt for 18" winters on the stock rims? (thus keeping sensors)

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan

Old 11-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Default RE: Input from XLS-Nav owners w/Winter Tires

Hi
I just put 16" winter tires on steel rims and no sensor and is working fine ( I don't have the nav system) and all I get is the message on the center gauge cluster but after a few seconds I can clear that and get access to all the other info. you might get the message again if you cycle trought all the different parameters (trip A, trip B, engine temp etc but if you just keep presing it will clear and back to the next parameter.
I'm not sure about the NAV part since I don't have one.
hoep this help a bit.

Roberto.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:13 PM

I also don’t have NAV, so I can't speak for that, but I haven’t heard that it has any impact. I am running a set of winter wheels without TPMS. MY experience is that you get a warning that you need to reset, every time you start the car, every time you open a door, every time the traction control kick-in, and when you get the low fuel warning. You will also have a blinking light in the dash that will turn solid after a couple of minutes.

I have a feeling that they will get lots of complaints, once winter sets in. We got about 15cm of snow a few days ago, on a 5 km drive, I tried using 2WD and had to reset the warning at least 4 times, and I wasn't driving aggressively, in 4WD it'snot as bad. I spoke to the Mitsubishi Canada Customer service guy, as expected he gave me the corporate line, stating that the warning was there for security reason, I told them that being constantly distracted by the onboard computer while driving under very harsh road condition, does not benefit security in my mind. He told me that I had a good point and would pass it on, but he didn't think that they will change the behavior, and if it did, they would probably not make it retroactive.

If you opt to have sensors (2 sets), you will need to take the car to the dealer twice a year, so that the computer is setup with the correct set, for a fee.

If you stay with the 18", your tire selection is veryverylimited, I have only seen 1, the Toyo Observe G-02 plus. But I didn't really consider that option, so I didn't look very hard.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:26 PM

Thanks for your reply. I also talked to a fella at Mitsubishi Canada, probably Youssef. A nice guy and very understanding. I logged the complaint with him but I also believe it won't change anything.

Actually, hetold me that without sensors, in the XLS with NAV, that I would lose access to the fuel consumption and trip A+B screens. No messageson NAV. A dealership told me that I would get unstoppable messages on the NAV screen. Like I said, I cannot get a straight answer, hence why I posted this to the community.

Looking forward to a response from someone with NAV.

Dan :-)

Old 11-27-2007, 08:44 AM

Yes it was Youssef, and he is a very nice guy, I spoke with him for about45 minutes and he seamed very interested in listening to what I had to say.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:27 PM

End of the Saga...

I bought 225-55/R18 Toyo Observse G02 plus Studless winter tires for my stock Alloy Rims. That way I keep my TPMS sensors. If anyone is in the Ottawa region, Donnelly Mitsubishi is offering all of their winter tires at Cost + 10% (Employee Pricing)

By the way, I LOVE the Toyos. Amazing. There is an $80 mail-in rebate on Toyo Canada's website. So essentially, I got the tires at cost even if they are really much more expensive than many other brands. But now I know why. What a tire! Incredible traction (Ice and Snow), perfect balance and quiet.

If you want more info, msg me.

Dan