Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

iPod mounting locations in Outlander?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Question iPod mounting locations in Outlander? - Updated with KUDA pics

This post is not asking about HOW to connect iPod to headunit. This post is only asking about WHERE people have physically mounted their iPods.

I have a 2003 Outlander with Valor DTS-660 2-DIN NAV unit that I installed last year. I was getting sick and tired of having my iPod slide around the passenger seat, or in the cup holder, or wherever I happened to put it down. The Valor integration with iPod is fantastic with the exception that you can only control iPod video via the iPod itself and not thru the headunit (although you have full audio control via headunit). Therefore, I had to come up with a mounting solution that made the iPod readily accessible. Ideally, I wanted to mount the iPod inside the armrest, until I found out about this headunit limitation with iPod video. So I ended up buying a Bracketron MVM-45-05 mount (http://www.bracketron.com/instructions/_mvm/196.pdf) and paired that with the discontinued DICE passthru cradle (http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...CE_CRADEL.html). Got it all installed this weekend. Functionally, everything works great, and I love the slide-in/out docking of the DICE cradle. But aesthetically, I think this whole thing looks horrible. The Bracketron mounting plate sticks out way too much from the dashboard, and the DICE cradle is about 1.5" deep itself, so the whole thing sticks out about 3" from the dash. See my pictures below.

I actually can't cut the Bracketron mount shorter for the current location, because my headunit faceplace tilts open from the bottom, so the iPod bracket has to stick out that much to give proper clearance to the faceplate. So I'm looking for an entirely different location.

Who else with an Outlander has a permanent mount for their iPod? Post some pics! I need some ideas for better placement.

Thanks everyone.

FlopShot

p.s. I know about the Kuda mount on the right side of the center console, but I don't want to pay $50 for it when I'm already out $40 for the DICE and $15 for the Bracketron.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KUDA-...Q5fAccessories

Attached Thumbnails iPod mounting locations in Outlander?-imag0068.jpg   iPod mounting locations in Outlander?-imag0069.jpg  

Last edited by flopshot; 01-26-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: updated title
Old 01-21-2010, 12:32 PM

Wow, I can't believe that not a single Outlander owner on this forum has installed a permanent mount for their iPod. I've searched the internet for 2 days for install photos (of all cars, not just Outlander) and it looks like the Kuda mount is the best-looking option. I'll post more photos if I end up purchasing/installing the Kuda.

FlopShot

Old 01-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Default More options from ProClip

I was also looking for a solution and found this:

http://www.proclipworld.com/

Attached Thumbnails iPod mounting locations in Outlander?-854000-4.jpg   iPod mounting locations in Outlander?-854001-4.jpg  
Old 01-21-2010, 03:55 PM

ProClip (also found at www.proclipusa.com) is probably the best known vendor for these type of mounts. Their angled mount is similar to the Bracketron that I used, although it looks more flush-mounted. The price is what prevented me from buying from them. I got the Bracketron for $15 shipped, and the ProClip would have been $38 shipped. I also couldn't find any photos of the ProClip installed in an Outlander with an actual device attached, so I could estimate how much it would protrude. Figured that Bracketron was the better gamble... glad that I decided that!

I ended up ordering the Kuda this morning from the EBay link I provided. $64 shipped but I think I will be much happier.

p.s. if you want to buy my Bracketron, I will sell it for $10 shipped. It is a universal so you just bend it to match your specific vehicle. (obviously already bent for 1st-gen Outlander)

Last edited by flopshot; 01-21-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:36 PM

I got one cell phone holder to mount on the window w/ suction cup at a hardware store for like 5 dollars. The suction cup should mount to any flat surfaces as well, not just window. But when I was trying to find a place for it, I couldn't, because everywhere I try, the surface is not flat or it just wont stick. Plus I dont want to put it on the window.

Finally, I found a spot!!! A great spot too!!!

Name:  IMG_5005.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  71.1 KB
Name:  IMG_5002.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  92.3 KB

I mounted on the top surface of the center space under the a/c heater control. The surface is flat enough to do the trick.

Very nice Very nice!

Old 01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Talking

Got my Kuda mount on Monday. It is really nice quality (made of fiberglass with a leather cover) and very easy to install (no tools or drilling). If you were just attaching an AMPS mount to it, it probably would have taken 5 minutes to attach. However it took about 30 minutes to customize it exactly the way I wanted. Needed to drill out 4 small holes where the DICE cradle snaps are located so the cradle can sit flush against the Kuda (didn't want to sand them off in case I ever wanted to use the DICE swivel mount later), and then had to use the Dremel to cut a hole to feed the iPod cable 30-pin connector. I used 3M automotive tape to secure the cradle to the Kuda. By doing this customization, all the wires are 99% hidden and you wouldn't even know that the DICE and the Kuda are two separate parts. Right now, the iPod cable is wound up and stored inside the Kuda, then it feeds out the back of the Kuda into the glove compartment. However, you can still see a bit of the white cable, and since I'm **** about these things, I'll probably just drill a hole into the side of the center console (which will be covered by the Kuda) and feed the cable that way so it will be 100% hidden. But I'm so much happier with this solution than my previous solution in the initial post. I definitely recommend the Kuda mount for anyone that wants to have an ultra clean install.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Attached Thumbnails iPod mounting locations in Outlander?-imag0074.jpg   iPod mounting locations in Outlander?-imag0076.jpg   iPod mounting locations in Outlander?-imag0077.jpg   iPod mounting locations in Outlander?-imag0078.jpg   iPod mounting locations in Outlander?-imag0079.jpg