Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Lack of heat when engine is at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Default Lack of heat when engine is at idle

Hi, I'm from Canada and I don't know if anybody notice that before??? When the engine is at idle, even if the engine has reach his normal temp., the heat coming out from the heater start to cool down. It just stay warm, not hot at all. As soon as I depress the throttle pedal , when I reach like 1000-1275 R.P.M., the heat come back! It's like if the water pump isn't enough efficient when the engine is at idle ( not enough flow from the pump)......Please I got that problem since I have my Outti. It's a Outlander LS 2008 , V6 engine. Anybody have a solution for that ????

Thank you for reply guys !!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 12:40 PM

is your engine temp fluctuating? sounds like a thermostat that is stuck in open position, meaning you are circulating coolant through your radiator at all times. if your engine temp is fluctuating, take it in for warranty repair.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:57 PM
tcp
Default Common known problem

With the very low idle, there just isn't a great deal of hot water flow or heat generated by this engine. The all aluminum block is a great heatsink to the outside air as well, also reducing water temperature. There is a TSB that is supposed to boost the idle RPM a bit when the outside temperature is below -15C. I had it applied but really couldn't tell any difference in the last winter. I'll hunt around for the TSB number.

edit: See post #10 here for all TSBs. If you aren't using IE, you need to cut and paste the links into IE.

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ghlight=heater

Originally Posted by Mitsu28
Hi, I'm from Canada and I don't know if anybody notice that before??? When the engine is at idle, even if the engine has reach his normal temp., the heat coming out from the heater start to cool down. It just stay warm, not hot at all. As soon as I depress the throttle pedal , when I reach like 1000-1275 R.P.M., the heat come back! It's like if the water pump isn't enough efficient when the engine is at idle ( not enough flow from the pump)......Please I got that problem since I have my Outti. It's a Outlander LS 2008 , V6 engine. Anybody have a solution for that ????

Thank you for reply guys !!!!

Attached Thumbnails Lack of heat when engine is at idle-tsbheater.jpg  

Last edited by tcp; 10-15-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 10-16-2009, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by tcp
With the very low idle, there just isn't a great deal of hot water flow or heat generated by this engine. The all aluminum block is a great heatsink to the outside air as well, also reducing water temperature. There is a TSB that is supposed to boost the idle RPM a bit when the outside temperature is below -15C. I had it applied but really couldn't tell any difference in the last winter. I'll hunt around for the TSB number.

edit: See post #10 here for all TSBs. If you aren't using IE, you need to cut and paste the links into IE.

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ghlight=heater
Thank you buddy for the reply!!! I'll check if they did the reprogramming ECM, I'm not cause I think they just change the settings for the heater itself...Doesn't change anything. But what you said make sense!!! I tough about just didn't know there was a TSB on that. Thank you very much. See what's happen with that.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
is your engine temp fluctuating? sounds like a thermostat that is stuck in open position, meaning you are circulating coolant through your radiator at all times. if your engine temp is fluctuating, take it in for warranty repair.
No, it's not fluctuating, when he reach his normal temp, he stay there and no heat or not a lot though coming from the blower(heater). But what TCP said make said. Thank you for reply!!! Give some news about that problem...

Old 10-16-2009, 11:50 AM

pretty normal behavior due to limited coolant flow at idle.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Manybrews
pretty normal behavior due to limited coolant flow at idle.
No,Manybrews.... sorry buddy but, I know it's not normal! I'm a mechanic and the water pump is supposed to deliver enough flow in the system even when the engine is at idle... As far as I know, you're not supposed to depressed the throttle to get more heat coming out from the heater!!!!I had an Acura RSX before my Outlander( just 4 cylinders) and the heater system was by far more efficient than my Outti!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:08 PM

if coolant flow was limited, wouldn't that mean that coolant isn't flowing as much and the engine should get hot? This would sound more like excessive flow for the amount of heat produced at idle for that climate.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:34 PM

Not necesserely, cause as soon as the engine reach his normal temp, it's not going higher than that. The water pump maybe deliver enough flow through the system and just not enough in the heater core itself...As soon as I rev the engine around 1000-1100 RPM, the heat coming again from the heater. Never had that problem before on any car. Especially on V6 engine, is supposed to give more heat coming from the combustion,...Anyway, there's a TSB on it,now I know , so that TSB supposed to get the engine turning faster when it's below -15 C to get more heat coming out from the heater. So, basically, the water pump have to turn faster to deliver more hot coolant in the core. That's what I think of, if anyone have another idea, feel free. Thanks for your comments CCERNST

Old 10-20-2009, 06:52 AM

I've been dealing with this ever since i got my car. I had the TSB applied and it didn't make a difference. My Dealership told me there is a new update out that they actually have to change some parts. I'll bring the car in when it's cold so they can run their tests and then Mitsubishi will send the parts. I think it's another idle boost, maybe it will be temp dependant.

I've phoned a few dealerships in different provinces and there are lots of complaints about this poor heat. So Mitsubishi must know.

Quick Reply: Lack of heat when engine is at idle