Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Lower control arm help

Old 03-23-2016, 07:21 AM

Thanks! I saw that tool but don't plan on making this a career so..Ill go the pickle fork route!

Is an alignment needed after the arm replacement?

Old 03-23-2016, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by 07xlsguy
Thanks! I saw that tool but don't plan on making this a career so..Ill go the pickle fork route!

Is an alignment needed after the arm replacement?
Yes, any time you loosen a suspension part...re-align. That is why I replaced both my arms when the bushings failed only on the passenger side. Moog arms are like 45 bucks on rock auto and we'll worth the extra time to do it all at once rather than to get multiple alignments done. Figured if one side failed, the other couldn't be too far behind. Now they are both done and off my mind.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kip
I've done lower control arms a few times. The one vertical bolt is a pain to get back in because without weight on the vehicle it sits at an angle. If you have a lift putting some weight on the wheel to lift it makes it really easy. This is a little iffy on an axle stand to put lift on the wheel though. Otherwise elbow grease and a bigger hammer. Keep in mind a pickle fork will ruin the ball joint. Not a big deal on the old one but if for some reason you need to remove the good one to get better position or whatever you'll be in a bind. You can buy a ball joint removal tool. Its basically a C clamp made to fit over the knuckle.

Also a small slot screwdriver bit and a hammer tapped on the knuckle makes removal and re install of the ball joint easier. Make sure the bolt through the knuckle lines up with the notch in the ball joint.

Good luck!

Did the drivers side today..went pretty smoothly but vertical bolt is a pita!
Was wondering if you did the passenger side as well? Can you tell me what the little dogbone looking thing is that is connected to the passenger side control arm? It doesnt look like it serves much of a purpose... Also, any tips on getting a seized ball joint pinch bolt out of the knuckle ?? I got the nut off and could not drive the bolt out === I even threaded the nut partway on and used a socket and hammer--no luck

Old 04-07-2016, 09:39 PM

My ball joint cross bolts were a PITA to get out also. I used a chisel punch and put it into the center slit, then tried to pry the slit apart a little to help straighten it out. Then put the nut on and hammered from the other side, it came out after that. Also pry a little on the ball joint to get the cross bolt loose, but not too much.

I also used an impact gun on the head of the bolt to break the rust free. Once the bolt spins, you're good.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by gggplaya
My ball joint cross bolts were a PITA to get out also. I used a chisel punch and put it into the center slit, then tried to pry the slit apart a little to help straighten it out. Then put the nut on and hammered from the other side, it came out after that. Also pry a little on the ball joint to get the cross bolt loose, but not too much.

I also used an impact gun on the head of the bolt to break the rust free. Once the bolt spins, you're good.
Thanks I'll try prying as well...I tried an impact on the bolt but was hesitant about shearing the bolt head off.
btw-- what happens if you tighten the bolts before putting weight on the suspension? when I did the other side I snuggly tightened the bolts and then lowered the car before I hit them again with an impact wrench to make sure they were tight. I'm wondering now thinking back if they might have been too tight before I lowered the car?

Old 04-08-2016, 08:34 AM

I tightened to spec with a torque wrench, you should never use an impact to tighten bolts, it's possible to overtighten bolts. When you overtighten bolts, you bend the threads in the opposite direction. This is bad because it's the stretch in the threads which causing tension when you screw on a nut. When you over stretch them backwards, you lose some effective tension. You also run the risk of over torquing and breaking the bolt.

You should invest in a cheap torque wrench, luckily i have a torque wrench calibrator at work, and i bought a cheap $30 1/2" torque wrench at walmart. I measured the accuracy of the torque wrench and it was within 5% accurate in the clockwise direction(tightening). This is actually within ISO spec, so i was happy with that. It was about 10% inaccurate in the counter clockwise direction, but i didn't care about that because that measures loosening torque.

I think all torque specs assume before weight on the suspension. I think torquing after weight is placed on a part is good for things like wheels, where you need to get things centered properly.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by gggplaya
I tightened to spec with a torque wrench, you should never use an impact to tighten bolts, it's possible to overtighten bolts. When you overtighten bolts, you bend the threads in the opposite direction. This is bad because it's the stretch in the threads which causing tension when you screw on a nut. When you over stretch them backwards, you lose some effective tension. You also run the risk of over torquing and breaking the bolt.

You should invest in a cheap torque wrench, luckily i have a torque wrench calibrator at work, and i bought a cheap $30 1/2" torque wrench at walmart. I measured the accuracy of the torque wrench and it was within 5% accurate in the clockwise direction(tightening). This is actually within ISO spec, so i was happy with that. It was about 10% inaccurate in the counter clockwise direction, but i didn't care about that because that measures loosening torque.

I think all torque specs assume before weight on the suspension. I think torquing after weight is placed on a part is good for things like wheels, where you need to get things centered properly.
Thanks. btw do you happen to remember the correct torque for the bolts?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:33 AM

Not off hand, i usually print out the sections of the workshop CD that i'll need for a project, and highlight text of importance like torque specs. Then do my project and throw out the paper after i'm done.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:10 AM

well I finally got the passenger side arm done as well...ball joint pinch bolt needed half a can of liquid wrench , prybar in the knuckle seam, three pound hammer and a torch ....

One observation though-- the passenger ball joint was VERY stiff -- could barely be moved by hand, while the driver's side stud could rather easily be moved with my fingers .( though not as loose as the old one that was replaced) The arms are both Moog R series. I'm just wondering if the noted difference is ok.
Thanks again to all for your much appreciated help!

Old 05-12-2016, 03:01 PM

I did mine last year. Since I was replacing the whole arm which has a new ball joint already pressed into it I used the pickle fork to disconnect the ball joint from the knuckle. Then undo the other two nuts and bolts.

I was working by myself and I simply used a floor jack under the new arm and a prybar to angle the control arm back in. I also lubed the new bushings to help them slide in(slight spray of WD40) and used a rubber mallet to get things in place. This was the worst part but once I figured out the technique the other side was a breeze.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lower control arm help