Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Maintenance schedule; do you follow it?

Old 01-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Default Maintenance schedule; do you follow it?

I am curios to know how many of you guys follow the maintenance schedule?

Some people might do it to maintain the car, some will do it not to void the warranty, or both.
While following the schedule benefits the car of course, it also adds a lot of expenses, some of them maybe unnecessary. For example, imo changing the brake fluid could be postponed for some extra months instead of when it is stated on the manual. Or tire rotation could be done by you so you save that $20-$50 at the shop.

Now this behavior will void the warranty if I'm not mistaken but I've had bad experience, when it comes to the warranty,at "reputable -honest" car manufactures such as Toyota. While my car was under the warranty, 2-3 problems that I had (one of which was electronic and cost me a lot to fix) none of them was covered. Adding to the story, of what I've heard from other people, every time there is a problem, you get the classic excuse "this is not covered under the warranty". Not to mention the up-selling that all the dealers do every time you go there; "Oh yeah this one seems a bit loose, buy another one", "oh yeah this doesn't look good, you got to change it"

So really, will following the schedule benefit you at least when it comes to being covered by the warranty, if something were to break down God forbid? Do you guys go to the Mitsu dealership or to your own mechanic for maintenance?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:22 PM

This is a good question. I think it depends how skilled you are and how much you know about cars. I've just bought 2010 Outlander and I am not going to change oil at dealer's shop. I called them and asked about type of oil they put during oil change - Coastal was their response. I am not putting this oil in my car and I am not paying extra for that. I always buy my own oil and change it. You save a bunch plus you know what oil you have. One time I went to have oil changed on my old mitsu years ago and guys at PepBoys put some oil straight from barrel that was water consistency. No thank you !!!
My another motto is not to play with car until something brakes. Then you know that this part has to be replaced. I did ask, changing oil by me will not void warranty. Of course if something big hits me I would rather go to a dealer and ask for their opinion on the issue. If this is covered by warranty I would let them fix it, if not give me estimate and I will this about repairing this in my own way.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:33 PM

I follow the severe maintenance schedule because of the heat here in Phoenix and also because I make a lot of short trips. I always go to the dealer for maintenance. In the 18 months I've owned my Outlander I've gotten 4 free oil changes from the dealer. When I bought the car I signed up for their e-mail specials and they keep sending me the free oil changes.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 PM

I hear ya quixmac. Simple stuff like oil can be done at home. Since our oil requires 5w20, it will have to be at least partly synthetic, but you can buy full synthetic very cheaply these days if you watch for sales.
I use the schedules as a recommendation. My latest being the tranny fluid. Severe says to change it at 30k miles. Since I bought it at 31k miles, I hoped it was already done. I called up the dealer I bought it from and they said it hadn't. When I asked why, they said that they see many go for 45k to 60k miles just fine. However, one thing they will do is check the fluid at no charge. I brought it in at 46k miles and they said that you could change it now, but it won't hurt anything if you did it the next oil change or two. I asked how much, I about choked when he said $289 for a tranny flush. Fortunately we have two dealerships in the KC area. I called the other and asked how much a quart for ATF-J2.... $6.25 a bottle. Service manual says without a flush machine, I'll need about 10 quarts.

Mitsupartsman says the timing belts can go for 100k miles or so. But I take a look at it every once in a while. Service manual doesn't make it look too hard.

Stuff like rotating OEM tires can be done at home. When I bought my Firestones from Firestone, they came with free rotations for life of the tires. Tire dealer said if you rotate them often and keep it properly aligned, they'll last.

My biggest concern is warranty. If you change filters and put good oils in it, I think these things will run for a while. But on the off chance, I keep good records, keep my receipts, and get the dealer's opinion when it comes to prolonging certain maintenance deadlines.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:29 AM

hmm....ccnerst..

Having a number of previous Eclipse, I asked about timing belt replacement, my dealership said it did not need to be done.. that was always a weak point in the Eclipse. Most went to the crusher, in excellent shape, cause after 100 grand, the car in many case was n;'t worth the 600 to 800 for a belt replacement.

On changing oil..I have done this for over 30 years, then I finally woke up.. For $29.00, my dealership does it right away, when I drive up..

I figure, at $3.00 a quart plus, and the filter.. it would cost 18 19 dollars for the oil and filter.. wohoaa.. you mean for years I have been struggling under the car, disposing oil, dripping oil on the driveway.. to save $10.00!!! I wlll let them have the responsibility..

I do have an issue of them rotating the tires, with what the charge, if you rotate your tires on their reccomendations, and for their cost, its actually cheaper, just to wear the tires out and buy a new set!

Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 AM

heh, funny you say that. my '93 1.8L Eclipse broke its timing belt while I was doing about 25mph...I was quick enough to hit the clutch and did no damage. At that point, it was probably at around 130-140k miles. I drove it until 240k miles. it was a good car and very durable for me. A few weeks or so up until it broke, it made a 'tick-tick-tick' noise that I couldn't find and I was in high school, so I didn't know any better. When it did go, the dash lit up like a christmas tree. The mechanic at the time did mention that a few had broken their belts on the interstate and totally blew up the engine. But if I remember right, I think the timing belt was actually a chain on the 1.8L and ours is a band belt like a serpentine. Looking over the service manual, it doesn't look too bad to do. I'll probably do mine at 80k just to be safe. I hope our Outlanders have not lost all their value to the point a belt replacement is not justifiable when the time comes!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:34 PM

I actually like to change my oil haha. The dealers will probably use whatever bulk oil that meets specs. If you're picky..I'd do it myself. I can do a Mobil 1 change for about 25 bucks.

I'm at 30K now..not sure what I'll do about the tranny flush..$300 is a lot...that's a month's payment on something new and shiny .

I don't think I'd push the timing belt schedule...it's not like you'll get some bad shifting or performance..you'll probably be out about the value of your car.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:10 PM

I would avoid tranny FLUSH and just do a normal ATF change.