Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Matte Wrap Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Default Matte Wrap Outlander

Hi guys. Living here in Vancouver you see quite a few high end exotic cars with the matte body wrap vinyl. some vehicles have the full body and some just do the bonnet and roof. I saw this customized Outlander and thought it looked pretty slick. Its not your typical show car, but I think this application is quite tasteful. I was thinking of doing the same thing to my Outlander (minus the shopping list of mods down the side of the window) and wanted to see what people's thoughts were on the topic. I believe this particular car has had a matte white vinyl as a base. Anyone had any experience doing these sort of vinyl installs? I've seen a few tutorials on youtube but any advise would be great!

Old 04-16-2012, 05:08 PM

I've yet to see a wrapped outlander, but that one you show there looks really good.

Hey Mitsubishi...take notice! That is a powerful color scheme.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:37 PM

its a RRE car, not surprised its done up.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:35 PM

I have been working on wrapping my audi for a while now. I started last fall, but it got too cold even in my unheated garage. I can tell you that you will need a helper to do most of the panels, except maybe you could do a door by yourself. I will also say that if you can get the temperature you are working in to be 80 degrees it will be easier to work with, because if its less than 60-65F then it won't stretch very well. I am doing matte red and it looks pretty good for the most part, but I had to redo the trunk because I stretched one corner too much and the matte finish got messed up. I think you wouldn't have this issue if you were just doing glossy finish, but the matte finish can be stretched too much...
A heat gun helps to work on tight contours and stretching but don't get it too hot or it can melt..

Old 04-17-2012, 01:40 PM

Yeah I have a fairly warm (and more importantly dust free) enclosed garage. It's definitely a toss up of pay $2-3K for some guy to do it for you professionally or tackle it one panel at a time. The problem with that is you'll end up with a patchwork vehicle until you're finished. ahaha I used to be into the tuner scene and had a R34 Nissan Skyline. I never quite got why guys would bolt on body kits etc without having them painted first. I know its fun and exciting to do mods, but driving around with a half finished DIY hack job makes you look like a tool!

I guess if I don't do the matte white base and keep my exisiting pearl white finish it could be a weekend warrior job to get it completed. What do you think of that? Would it be better to keep the pearl finish and do the matte black or do a gloss black (or pearl black if I could source the vinyl) to match the paint styles. Time saving aside, what are your thoughts on mixed finishes?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 PM

In my opinion, the matte black would look just awesome.
I just won't do it because my fiancee thinks it's a bad idea.

Maybe I'll convince her... with time.

Good luck on your wrapping, let us know how it ended up! post pics!

Old 09-01-2015, 11:29 AM
Default Body Kit

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but does anyone know what body kit this car has on it? I am coming up empty for any type of body kit for the outlander sport in google searches and the dealerships in new york are of no help.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:48 PM

Contact Road Race ? I am sure they would help.