Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

header wrap question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 04:01 AM
Default header wrap question

ive been hearing mixed reviews about header wraps like there bad for ur header or they are great and add hp, so what is yalls opnion on it? and if it does work is it worth buying, cuz i was planning on getting one soon.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Default RE: header wrap question

What I have read on the wraps is bad reviews. The wraps keep the heat from dissipating throughout the engine bay, which sounds like a good thing- but it also holds all that heat on the header, which isn't good for them.
This was pulled from a header manufacturer's website. Most materials I have read support this statement.

Should I use a Header Wrap?
NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT. There is nothing that will damage a header faster than the use of a header wrap, other than attacking it with a hammer or shot gun. As advertised, these wraps do keep the majority of exhaust gas temperatures within the header. The result is the wraps will prohibit the header tubing from cooling properly. If you reduce the ability for headers to dissipate adequate heat properly, the result will be premature failure of the metal. Depending upon the application use and temperatures involved, the life can be reduced to only a few hours. We consider exhaust wraps to be the header manufacturer's best friend.

If engine compartment temperatures are an issue, the best solution is to use insulation materials on the sheet metal. One alternative in some applications is to build a box around the headers and actually duct outside air into the box. In some applications ceramic coatings have been known to help (see notes on coatings above). Insulating any components that may be sensitive to heat, such as wiring, fuel & oil lines, etc., are a better option.

IMPORTANT: Use of header wraps will void any warranty.

Old 08-15-2006, 04:34 AM

yea i did some research and im not gunna get one lol thanks tho

Old 08-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Administrator

i run hooker super competition headers on my V8, and i have a few of the tubes wrapped because they are near other things...like plug wires.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly. The only time you want a wrap is to keep heat from vital suff.