Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Miles to Empty ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:36 AM
Default Miles to Empty ?

So i was driving to pick up my kids from daycare yesterday and was almost out of gas. The alert had not sounded yet and i was about 30 miles away so i was pretty sure i'd have plenty to get me to a station near their school. During the ride i switched the dash monitor to see how many miles it estimated I had to drive. It said 40. About10 mins into the ride it jumped down to 30 (skipped 39-31 all together). Then a few miles later it showed4 dashed lines and no numbers. It freaked me out at first because i thought i was out of fuel even though the alert never sounded. A couple minutes later the fill'r up alert sounded. It continued to show dashed linesuntil I filled it up at the gas station.

Does this seem correct? Anybody else experience the jump in miles to empty and the dashed lines?

Is it supposed to drop miles to empty in increments of 10?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Default RE: Miles to Empty ?

Yes, mine goes from "50KM" to "---". I think that they do it to get the excat reaction that you had. It's not a good idea to wait until your almost completely empty. If they had ti go down to 10, you would probably see more people doing it.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:17 AM

If yours does it too then Mitsu techs must be rolling everywhere. Ha-ha, good oneMitsubishi Motors...not!!! The sphinchter lock is not fun in any way, shape, or form.[:@]

When i filled up though it only took 13.7 gal which means i still had like 2 gallons left or approx 40-45 miles.

I work in therural mountainous areas of northern MD and to get my kids in i have to drive the highway where there's lots of distance before civilization. There's limited cell service and no roadside phones. I appreciate it letting me know it's time to fill up with the (2) alerts, but don't cause me a coronaryby making it look like i'm running on fumes. Geez!

Old 03-12-2008, 12:08 PM

I think it adjusts the "Miles to Empty" based on your current driving habits and the mpg it has calculated for you. In a stretch of maybe 30 minutes, I had it jump from like 30 up to 40, back down to 30, then to 20. I wish it was more accurate and gave you a non rounded number. Even my brothers old 1990 Thunderbird did that!

Old 03-12-2008, 02:02 PM

First of all, it only displays Miles to Empty in multiples of 10. So 250, 260, 270. Ive never seen it go to 132 miles left...But yes, if there was one thing to complain about its the stupid mpg calculated fuel guage/left. It jumps too much.

Mine usually never goes below 40 miles left. It gets to usually 40 or 50 miles left then it goes to - - - . Ive went up to 50 miles with the fuel notification on. And still put in less gas then the tank holds.

Now I usually dont let it go that low. Because fuel actually acts as a cooling agent for the fuel pump. When there is fuel around the pump (which is atthe bottom of the tank) it keeps the pump cool. I've just heard of stories of peoples fuel pump going out, and it was when they were low on fuel. So I try to fill up around the last quarter or so left. But with the small tank of the outtie, it seems too often.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:14 PM

I don't even look at the miles left anymore as it is moot point, since it always resets. I rely on the gas gauge, and I have begun to realize how much gas it takes to go so far and how much I have left. I usually don't fill up until the second dinging of the gauge, then I know I have like 20 miles left, maybe, I have never tested it. The miles to empty is probably the most annoying thing for me about the outie. 1 the fact that is always resets, and 2 the fact that it is not accurate, even our escape has a better and more accurate gauge!

Old 03-12-2008, 10:14 PM

Your display wont read 40 39 38 37 36 and so on till empty. It will read 40 till empty then 30 and then ---. Once you get the fill up you have approx 2 gallons of gas. Not the best idea to keep driving after the warning though.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:27 PM

I don't generally let my tank get lower than 1/2 tank unless i'm on a long road trip then i let it go to about a 1/4 tank. However, my wife likes to wait until the last minute to fill up and i forgot to look at the gauge before jumping on the interstate. I think she finds it amuzing how mad i get when she does this. Just one of the joys of being married [&:]

Old 03-13-2008, 03:06 PM

Than don't blame the Outlander.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:28 PM

I found the miles left to run before empty on my UK spec diesel is spot on but I fill up after the first warning if theirs 2 gallons left I should get about 50 to 60 miles but me being one of life’s worriers I fill up asap

just getting about 450-490miles on a full tank. so I could get 520miles on a fulltank before it runs out.

My shogun/montero sport 2.5 turbo diesel needed filling up at 280 miles

with the outlander being a smaller tank that get me further than the shogun sport I am saving £20 to £25 per tank of diesel (I DO MISS HER)

Puddy

Quick Reply: Miles to Empty ?