Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Mitsubishi on the downhill

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Default Mitsubishi on the downhill

just browsing the net today and i read 2 articles, both not good for Mitsubishi. for one on wall street 24 hour web articles found on yahoo stating Mitsubishi will most likely go out of business in 2013, sales down 29% since 2011. which leads to my the other article i read on motor trend magazine. It states the outlander sport was a promise unfulfilled. Unfulfilled and im sorry but i have to agree. the sport is a looker, a aggressive sexy looking SUV but SLOW. How can you make a SUV that looks the way it does which Screams go faster don't mess with me and throw in a 2.0 with 148 HP. No wonder the wall street article thinks it will go out of business, who is running Mitsubishi these days. And the new outlander its so bland, here in the states and overseas its getting mixed reviews. Mitsubishi needs to bring back the looks of the 07-12, and stick a decent motor in the sport.. Sorry just venting.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:32 PM

You just re-caped what I said about the "new" '14 outlander. Crap. Mitsu wont go out of business though, they are HUGE. But they might stop making cars. I think their automotive department makes them less then a percent or two (if any) of all other income. Probably why it seems like they could care less about Mitsubishi Motors, which they probably dont anyways.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Default Toooo bland!

I have to agree, the new model looks dated and way to understated compared to their opposition, its a shame as the could be up there with the biggest names in the car business.

they are huge and have made some iconic vehicles but the new release aint one of them.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:51 PM

Outlander Sport would be great with either a turbo, the 2.4 from the full size outlander, or the 40+ MPG diesel that is in the ASX in Europe. The patheitc, anemic, sorry little 2.0 we have here is just a disgrace. And I LOVE my Sport, but there is NO excuse for that motor.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:16 PM

Are they trying to commit corporate suicide

Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Burtonrider10022
Outlander Sport would be great with either a turbo, the 2.4 from the full size outlander, or the 40+ MPG diesel that is in the ASX in Europe. The patheitc, anemic, sorry little 2.0 we have here is just a disgrace. And I LOVE my Sport, but there is NO excuse for that motor.
cant agree with you any more...

Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by tdford
You just re-caped what I said about the "new" '14 outlander. Crap. Mitsu wont go out of business though, they are HUGE. But they might stop making cars. I think their automotive department makes them less then a percent or two (if any) of all other income. Probably why it seems like they could care less about Mitsubishi Motors, which they probably dont anyways.
I agree, i think i may have even commented in that thread. bottom line is there not looking too good, and it sucks cuz i love my truck. I was looking forward in leasing or purchasing a sport or the new outlander. But until mitsu puts more power in the sport i may look elsewhere when im ready to make my purchase.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:07 PM

If you think the RVR/Sport is underpowered, they sell the Outlander with the exact same 2.0L engine in some markets and it sells just fine. Clearly its enough, its not meant to race with/tow heavy things.
Mitsu is doing fine in Canada according to their latest sales figures (up 2% from last year). I believe its the same worldwide, its just the US that doesn't seem to like Mitsubishi.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by ivanz
If you think the RVR/Sport is underpowered, they sell the Outlander with the exact same 2.0L engine in some markets and it sells just fine. Clearly its enough, its not meant to race with/tow heavy things.
Mitsu is doing fine in Canada according to their latest sales figures (up 2% from last year). I believe its the same worldwide, its just the US that doesn't seem to like Mitsubishi.
This all suggests that they will not stay in the US market much longer and that outcome has been projected by pundits at several mainstream auto magazines during the past 2 years. If actions speak louder than words, Mitsubishi is not serious about staying in the US auto market. Too bad because the Outlander could have been best in class with a little more investment. I like my 07 but I can't see myself spending any more of my money on a newer Mitsubishi.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ivanz
Yes, they are doing ok in most world markets, but not in the US. A couple of years ago when they introduced the Outlander Sport they increased their advertising in the US and it resulted in big sales increases, but after that stopped their sales dropped way down. The only way they will become more than an afterthought in the US market is to invest much more heavily in advertising like say Subaru does. Yes, it will cost them and they will lose money for several months, but that's the only way.

The Mazda CX-5 has a 155HP 2.0L engine that's less than peppy, but because Mazda along with Subaru are the darlings of the US auto press among the smaller Japanese manufacturers that gets overlooked while Mitsubishi gets blasted.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi on the downhill