Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Mitsubishi on the downhill

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:33 PM

Mitsubishi's problem here in the US is that they have tried to compete with Subaru/Toyota/Hyundai/Nissan by becoming more like them without the refinement in engine HP, sound deadening and interior materials that they have demonstrated over the last 5 years or so. By more like them, I mean Mitsubishi has produced 'softer' cars and SUVs without the edgy styling and performance that used to characterize it's vehicles. The Outlander was a great value in that it offered good interior space, nice styling for the market segment, decent V6 HP with a great transmission, and light, direct steering feel. At it's original selling price, it was great bang for the buck. The downside is that the body structure is noisy, sound deadening is cheap styrofoam under the carpet, and the interior plastic is cheaper looking than the competition. In addition, the suspension spring rates, damping, and amount of travel in the rear should have been refined and improved since this generation was introduced in 2007. Mitsubishi tuned the suspension in favor of a soft ride with no sport option. The competition has gotten better in these areas while the Outlander has not received the same investment in incremental improvement. If the mother company wanted to increase its sales numbers and respect in the US marketplace, it can be argued that the Outlander should have been its flagship vehicle. All of its competition has moved upmarket over time and seen steady improvements. This is why Mitsubishi does not get the same good press that the other Asian manufacturers get from rags like Road & Track, Top Gear, Car & Driver, etc. (I know Top Gear is based in the UK but it has a large US readership also.)

I still like my 07 Outie but I am disappointed in the lack of development since I bought mine. The mother company has given me no incentive to stay with the brand.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:34 PM

Tend to agree with the above, mind you they had a MITSUBISHI space age looking hand dryer in the gents i was in, in the shopping centre (mall). i would have taken a photo but may have got funny looks if you know what i mean

maybe if the concentrated on their research and developement in the AUTO industry instead of hand dryers we would see some goodlooking vehicles

Old 12-30-2012, 07:21 PM

Mitsubishi needs to wake up and go back to its roots if they want to survive. Bring back "Fun To Drive" vehicles they used to have. Now they are producing obsolete boxes on wheels that looks like Subarus. Mitsubishi needs to bring back sporty engines and the sports feel all their models use to have. Bring back the Montero!! I really love my Outlander just wish they would have improved their new releases insteads of going backwards in design. As it looks now I will not be buying a Mitsubishi again unless they do a complete 360. What happend to the Motto " Driven to Thrill"

Old 12-31-2012, 02:13 AM

Hey all! My first post here. My wife just traded in her 04 Sportback Ralliart for a 2013 Outlander GT. She really wanted the Plug In /EV version, but after seeing the 2014 was really just a detuned 2013 that looked like a car from Tron, we happily went w/ the 2013. It has not disappointed, in fact I'm surprised at the build quality, interior materials and performance. It's really impressive and deserves much better press than it gets. This is our 5th Mitsu, and I agree w/ Serpentor completely. Mitsu really has an issue w/ brand direction, and its now starting to show w/ the new '14 Outlander/Sport. The hybrid/EV whatever better get here soon (w/ a redesign hopefully) or they're really gonna struggle w/o a new Evo, Eclipse, Galant. The Sport is fine for a comfy, economical city car/CUV, but its not inspiring in anyway to the Mitsu faithful. It's great they want to make more environmentally friendly cars (then do it already!) but they need to keep the race/rally/driver inspired performance that built their brand. The Lancer is awesome but that too is getting old and they're clearly pushing away from keeping the Ralliart versions competitive. anyway, I'll be around asking Outlander questions for awhile and griping about the mother brand.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by blkwings
Hey all! My first post here. My wife just traded in her 04 Sportback Ralliart for a 2013 Outlander GT. She really wanted the Plug In /EV version, but after seeing the 2014 was really just a detuned 2013 that looked like a car from Tron, we happily went w/ the 2013. It has not disappointed, in fact I'm surprised at the build quality, interior materials and performance. It's really impressive and deserves much better press than it gets. This is our 5th Mitsu, and I agree w/ Serpentor completely. Mitsu really has an issue w/ brand direction, and its now starting to show w/ the new '14 Outlander/Sport. The hybrid/EV whatever better get here soon (w/ a redesign hopefully) or they're really gonna struggle w/o a new Evo, Eclipse, Galant. The Sport is fine for a comfy, economical city car/CUV, but its not inspiring in anyway to the Mitsu faithful. It's great they want to make more environmentally friendly cars (then do it already!) but they need to keep the race/rally/driver inspired performance that built their brand. The Lancer is awesome but that too is getting old and they're clearly pushing away from keeping the Ralliart versions competitive. anyway, I'll be around asking Outlander questions for awhile and griping about the mother brand.

Welcome to the forum my friend