Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.
View Poll Results: A poll
Short Ram Intake- $149
42.11%
X bar front strut brace- very minor mod( yes one)$139
5.26%
Straight strut bar- NO mods necessary$79
15.79%
Underdrive pulley/ belt $129
5.26%
Piggyback/ software $459
10.53%
Axxis Deluxe brake pads $79
0%
Ported intake manifold $359 plus $200 core
21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Which mods would you be most likely to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Default RE: Which mods would you be most likely to buy?

no, no feedback from the "other" forum.
I'm going to buy my straight bar this week, providing it is made in time, and it will be in silver powdercoat (can get red or silver). I will post a pic of the bar as well as the bar installed, and the time it took. PM me if you want to order one and I'll let them know when I pick mine up, or I can just give you the email contact.
Where are you located?
I don't think the rear bars will fit, if I'm not mistaken they go through the trunk of the Lancer.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:39 AM

i'm all the way across the good ol' usa in new joisey. appreciate your time; whatever is easier for you as far as pm goes or their website.

for a rear strut brace, we'd have to drill an access through the plastic interior, providing it measures the same as the lancer....

thanks,
jim

Old 06-23-2006, 03:23 AM

I certainly won't do that anytime soon (drill a hole). I paid for my bar today, it's being sent to the powdercoat guys to be done in silver and I'll have it next week sometime. Nothing needs to be moved, we just removed the two nuts and it installed within 5 minutes. Hang on until I get the finished product back and can post some pics and then see if you like it. I however don't have that option, but for $80 I don't expect miracles, just slight improvements.
BTW, it's nice to see someone else taking an interest in the Outlander, the forum has been dying. Welcome aboard!

Old 06-24-2006, 05:00 AM

you've done quite a bit yourself to keep these interesting discussions going, and am glad my meagre input is appreciated. am eagerly awaiting your pics; thanks again for all the kind help!

Old 06-25-2006, 02:56 PM

I could post more things, but it's all daydreams right now. I have been wanting to install a turbo in my car for about a year now, but the $4k price has been quite a diversion! I will also need to upgrade the exhaust manifold to headers and then a downpipe with high flow cat and upgraded pipes. I need to start a donation site like everyone else in the world. I though about sponsorship but it's MY car and I don't have time to monkey around with jackasses telling me where to go and when.
What are your plans?

Old 06-29-2006, 12:15 AM

well, not too much; just got a weapon-r intake and am waiting for a free saturday to install it, (i'm impressed w/ the one you fabricated; a real nice job!) an underdrive pulley, some better tires on 17' or 18' gunmetal 5-spoke wheels to go w/ my dark silver paint job, a ralliart or borla muffler, and the strut bar. i'm not impressed w/ the soft brake feel, so possibly a ralliart or powerslot upgrade? maybe an oil cooler, and, would really like a stiffer rear sway bar, but that doesn't appear likely unless ralliart finally makes one, or we can get help from our friend johntan.... hope springs eternal...? it would be nice to get a cruise control - i don't know what kind of marketing studies they did, but my '93 expo has a manual trans and cruise control, and more than 10 years later i couldn't get cruise on a manual trans outlander! i don't have any plans, nor the funds really, to do much more, but one of those ralliart 2.4-mivec turbo's might eventually be nice, and a pair of those nice seats the evo has. i recall reading that one of those chip gizmo's, allegedly, can generate a good 30 additional horsepower w/out any other mods....let's see, $350 for the re-map and void the warranty, or $3500+ for the turbo and void the warranty....but man, that ralliart turbo set-up for the mivec engine is really nice....

Old 06-29-2006, 03:41 AM

The R/A turbo pulls hard... I've been in one.
My intake has changed since I uploaded those pics, I had to move the air filter away from the exhaust and I got rid of the flex pipe. When I take pics of the strut bar which I anxiously await you'll se the new version of my intake. The battery is right in the way of good airflow though.
I tried to install a map for a R/A Lancer, but the programming didn't work on the Outlander, it KILLED the performance. Jet will reprogram for I believe $400, but didn't post any claims or dyno'd HP/TQ gains so I'm not going to spend the $$ on it.
Time for you to make an album...I've got to see the dark silver.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:09 PM

you can probably tell i'm not computer 'savvy,' i'd have to get one of my kids to do that for me, which i will in the near future. one of the other fellows in the forum (i hope i didn't confuse forums....) put pictures of his in recently, it's the same as mine, down to those plastic wheel covers, which really don't look all that bad, but i asked the parts dept at my dealer to order me some center caps which i'll paint to match the flat black steel wheels so i can ditch those plastic things.... until i spring for the alloy wheels and grippier tires. that search has been a chore in itself, trying to decide the best compromise between price, performance, and tread life. what 'shoes' are you running on?

back to the intakes, i was looking at those dry cell batteries, which i first saw in an evo with a buschur (my spelling may be suspect here) racing upgrade, which utilizes one, and it's about a third the size of a normal lead-acid battery. using one should give a bit more space for the intake, and can possibly be situated between the exhaust and the air cleaner....but like most everything else, i'm not so sure, but am checking further.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:08 PM

my tires are nothing special, but they look pretty nice and have a 40 or 45k warranty, tread and traction rated A. I have Dayton Daytona HR and paid something like 70 each. I have AWD so they grip nicely. They do not hydroplane like the stock geolander's did.
Keep us posted on the dry cell battery as well as the cost of the change.

Old 07-15-2006, 02:46 PM

speaking of batt. my buddy here in san diego (evo 8) uses one of those sport bike batt. and hell it works!!! ( hey its 12v...lol) anybody want to try it??

Quick Reply: Which mods would you be most likely to buy?