Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Nav Head Unit Pulled - NEW UPDATE with PICS

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 03:29 AM
Default RE: Nav Head Unit Pulled - Now my real challenges begin

It must be spliced in then - there are no RCA inputs other than on the console.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:43 AM

The only thing then is how do you get the Navi to display the rear cam signal when you switch to reverse. I'm sure it would need some programming of the MMCS to recognize you've hooked a rear cam.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:34 AM

do the RCA imputs have a yellow, or video input on them?

Old 03-27-2007, 10:44 AM

In my XLS with Navi and RF it does have a yellow video connector, with the white and red audio jacks. But to display the video from this terminal, you needed to manually switch the Navi to AUX mode.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:57 AM

Well in that case, I would say to hook up your back up camera to that, and either manualy switch it,
I cant think of a way to connect the back up camera to the nav unit. Because the DVD is internal on it, there is no way I know of to get the signal to interupt whats going on, on screen.
The only way that might be possible, is if you have the rear-seat DVD system, and there is a way to make it play on the front screen. If thats the case, all you need to do is get a video switcher (stupid, large and cumbersome) split the signal going from the rear unit, to the front, send the output of the switcher to the nav unit, plug both the rear seat dvd, and back-up camera to the switcher, and click back and forth... its the only way I can think of... off hand...
let me think on it for a while, I'll come up with some sort of solution...

Old 03-27-2007, 12:49 PM

Yeah I agree with Soundcolor on this. I am looking for a way to interrupt the signal to switch views - I have the wiring diagrams now so hopefully I can figure something out.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:48 PM
JMC

To use the camera you use the AUX part on the Navi screen. The wiring has to be done so you can watch DVDs while driving and use the camera as needed.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:06 PM

Okay, upon further review of the MMCS schematics, the MMCS has a separate line network for the rear camera. It does not run through the CAN Box. It should recognize the signal when input to the appropriate connector. It also appears the interrupt is built into the circuit, which means the MMCS should display the camera view when reverse gear is engaged.

As for my satellite radio adventures,I may have hit the showstopper- all the ETACS-ECU's are coded at the factory and one of the codings is vehicle destination which means, it is possible (maybe even probable) that Canadian headunits will never be able to recognize a sat radio tuner, even with Mit's $5,000 scan tool. Its not a dead issue yet but its close.

I will keep you posted.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:11 PM
JMC

ORIGINAL: rdenis

Okay, upon further review of the MMCS schematics, the MMCS has a separate line network for the rear camera. It does not run through the CAN Box. It should recognize the signal when input to the appropriate connector. It also appears the interrupt is built into the circuit, which means the MMCS should display the camera view when reverse gear is engaged.

As for my satellite radio adventures,I may have hit the showstopper- all the ETACS-ECU's are coded at the factory and one of the codings is vehicle destination which means, it is possible (maybe even probable) that Canadian headunits will never be able to recognize a sat radio tuner, even with Mit's $5,000 scan tool. Its not a dead issue yet but its close.

I will keep you posted.
Sounds right to me dood...............

Old 03-28-2007, 01:24 AM

I dont understand why everyone needs a back up camera?Are we spying on the people behind us at red lights?

Quick Reply: Nav Head Unit Pulled - NEW UPDATE with PICS