Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.
View Poll Results: A poll
The poll seems not to work right, disabled for now, Please reply below
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Is it necessary to have mud guards installed on the Outlander?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:18 PM
Default RE: Is it necessary to have mud guards installed on the Outlander?

If you drive on roads with any sort of debris on them, which I would think is the case for virtually any road and you are concerned aboutgetting SISTEMATIC paint chips, do the followingASAP:

1. Install Mudguards (OEM type)
2. Install 3M clear bra on the hood and fenders
3. Install 3M clear film on the rear door bulge (full wrap is best for peace of mind)
4. Install 3M clear film on the bottom of the doors about 8-10" high. Alternatively you can get a set of OEM body colordoor garnish from Japan via zontarh.com.

I didn't do any of the above untilrecently and I paida higher price -ended up with paint chipsAND paid the money for allof the above.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:11 PM

If you plan on doing any off roading then just except that anything you do to protect your ride in the end your still going to have body damage. That said Im with DoDo on his suggestions for the most part I have dont the following on mine:

1. Install OEM Mud Guards
2. Nose Bra (OEM)
3. Under Carriage Plate (also great for keeping slat from winter roads out)
4. Jap Door Garnish (Awaiting delivery)
5. Bull Bar (Awaiting Delivery)

Now that said I still have sine pretty extensive scratching on the hood, mirrors, head lights, taillights, doors, roof. Oh forget I have scratches all over my ride. And everyone of them tells a story. Now when the car is covered in mud you cant tell anyways. Basically after each trip I do an extensive search for new body damage and treat accordingly to limit the amount of visible damage. Granted when you look close you can still tell its there, but from a distance its still shiny and pretty.

Now as much as i like the battle scars I have just kinda excepted as some one who takes there car off road every 2 years or so it needs a new paint job. Its actually going in for one next spring. Since painting it before a New England winter would just be silly.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:14 PM

Just to clarify, what I suggested and did myself on my car is only to protect it from the predictable damage from driving the car on pavement not off-road.
I too have the regular dings and scratches, but I’m not worried about them. I'm only concerned about getting too many paint chips onthe vulnerable parts to the point where they start rustingor the only solution is to re-paint.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:03 PM

Alright, thank you all!

I have decided to get the OEM mud guards and the hood deflector. I am also thinking of getting some 3M clear film for the bottom of the doors. I hope I can find it. 3M auto products are hard to find where I live. Well, except for the Scotch Guard seat spray (I already sprayed a whole can all over).